Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] (unknown)

  • JolieH2000@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 26, 2012
      Hopefully everyone who sees this email will know that this is a virsus and her address book got hacked!

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 27, 2012
        This is a repost from my journal. Of course, I do have some information from the post here on Italian Renaissance, but if anyone knows of other lists that have been spammed, please, let me know or send this on:

        I know a lot of people over the past couple of days have had their emails hacked. I'm trying to create a list now that it's gotten pretty bad. If you have gotten hacked, or if you are on a list where people have gotten hacked, can you email me? isabelladangelo at gmail dot com works.

        If you have gotten hacked, I'd like to know:

        Your OLD password (since you'll have to change it anyway...I'm trying to figure out if it's something like simple passwords or something more sinister)

        The email address that got hacked

        How long you've had that email address?

        When was the last time you used that email address?

        What link was sent out (it's okay to copy and paste; just don't click on it again!)?

        If you clicked on a link in an email sent to you without any descriptors of the link prior to your email being compromised

        What lists were spammed?

        If you are on a list or are friends with someone that got hacked:

        Please copy and paste this entire post and send it to the list or the person that got hacked. Also, feel free to repost to your own journal. I am going to try and investigate this one.

        What is the name and email address of the person and/or list that was compromised?

        What link was sent out (do not click it, please. Just copy and paste it)?

        Time that you received the hacked email? (It should be somewhere on the email itself. If you can't find it, just copy and paste all the headers, please)

        If anyone can think of anything else that you believe might be important, please include it. You are welcome to just forward me the compromised emails - it might be helpful- as I'm starting to collect a list and see if there is any connecting thread other than a bunch of re-enacting sites seem to have been hit.
      • lilinah@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 27, 2012
          What Isabella asked for is probably not really necessary. Yahoo itself was hacked earlier this summer, not individuals. 400,000 passwords were stolen.

          So if anyone has an active Yahoo e-mail account, this would be an excellent time to change your password. Also, if you had a Yahoo account in the past which is now inactive and you currently use the same password elsewhere on the net, it would be in your best interest to change those passwords, too. Some of the stolen passwords go back to 2006.

          Fiametta Basilio
          (see interleaved comments below)

          Isabella D'Angelo <isabelladangelo@...> wrote:
          > This is a repost from my journal. Of course, I do have some information
          > from the post here on Italian Renaissance, but if anyone knows of other
          > lists that have been spammed, please, let me know or send this on:

          Too many lists to number have been spammed. In this case most is coming via those 400,000 Yahoo accounts with stolen passwords.

          > I know a lot of people over the past couple of days have had their emails
          > hacked. I'm trying to create a list now that it's gotten pretty bad. If you
          > have gotten hacked, or if you are on a list where people have gotten
          > hacked, can you email me? isabelladangelo at gmail dot com works.

          The Yahoo hack actually originally occurred this summer. The repercussions are now being felt.

          >If you have gotten hacked, I'd like to know:
          >
          > Your OLD password (since you'll have to change it anyway...I'm trying to figure out if it's something like simple passwords or something more sinister)
          >
          > The email address that got hacked
          >
          > How long you've had that email address?
          >
          > When was the last time you used that email address?
          >
          > What link was sent out (it's okay to copy and paste; just don't click on it again!)?
          >
          >If you clicked on a link in an email sent to you without any descriptors of the link prior to your email being compromised
          >
          >What lists were spammed?

          The 400,000 passwords were in a text file downloaded from a Yahoo-owned computer by a hacker group. Whoever is using the list (could be multiple purchasers) is spamming all manner of Yahoo lists.

          > If you are on a list or are friends with someone that got hacked:
          >
          > Please copy and paste this entire post and send it to the list or the
          > person that got hacked. Also, feel free to repost to your own journal. I am
          > going to try and investigate this one.
          >
          > What is the name and email address of the person and/or list that was
          > compromised?
          >
          > What link was sent out (do not click it, please. Just copy and paste it)?
          >
          > Time that you received the hacked email? (It should be somewhere on the
          > email itself. If you can't find it, just copy and paste all the headers,
          > please)

          Actually, if you have a Yahoo account that you actively use, the very best thing would not be ruminating over all the above, but just changing your password. It is best to use at least 8 characters with a mix of upper and lower case letters and numbers. It's not necessarily all that difficult to compose, just use an easy to remember word or phrase, but add at least one upper case letter and one number somewhere within it.

          > If anyone can think of anything else that you believe might be important,
          > please include it. You are welcome to just forward me the compromised
          > emails - it might be helpful- as I'm starting to collect a list and see if
          > there is any connecting thread other than a bunch of re-enacting sites seem
          > to have been hit.

          These spams have been hitting all manner of lists, not just re-enacting lists, because 400,000 Yahoo e-mail passwords were stolen. Sites are something other than e-mail lists.

          Yahoo says they are "fixing" things, but, again, anyone with an active Yahoo e-mail account should change their password. Also, if you used the password on a now-inactive Yahoo account and are still using it on a currently active account elsewhere, it would be good to change that password. The news reports said that some of the stolen passwords go back to 2006.
        • Isabella D'Angelo
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 27, 2012
            Yes, however only 5% of those 400,000 emails were active. That's also 400,000 out of the millions of yahoo email accounts. Considering it's been affecting almost every historical/re-enacting related list I'm on, I seriously doubt it's related to the earlier hack. Plus, it's now affecting AOL systems. And I'm getting some people were I work in the IT security industry interested in this so I'm trying to collect data to actually give them. ;-)

            -Isabella

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 27, 2012
              Isabella D'Angelo <isabelladangelo@...>
              > Yes, however only 5% of those 400,000 emails were active.

              That's what Yahoo says. That's "only" around 20,000 active accounts, if what Yahoo says is true. That's enough to wreak some mayhem.

              Yahoo also said that the passwords were all properly encrypted. Yet other reputable sources say the passwords were in a straightforward text file. I suppose it depends on whom you believe.

              > That's also 400,000 out of the millions of yahoo email accounts.
              > Considering it's been affecting almost every historical/re-enacting related
              > list I'm on, I seriously doubt it's related to the earlier hack.

              Spams are showing up from Yahoo accounts on nearly every list i'm on, and that includes many that have nothing whatsoever to do with re-enacting.

              > Plus, it's now affecting AOL systems.

              There were some AOL passwords among those stolen. And some gmail and Hot Mail, too. But Yahoo had the most.

              > And I'm getting some people w[h]ere I work in the IT security industry
              > interested in this so I'm trying to collect data to actually give them. ;-)

              I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

              Since i immediately delete such messages - usually they have no subject line - although some genuine e-mails also have no subject - i really don't recall all the lists they came through, when, what the spam or malware links were, under whose names they were sent, etc. Perhaps some people are saving their dangerous e-mails, but i sure don't want them hanging around in my e-mailbox.

              People should still change their passwords.

              Fiametta Basilio
            • Isabella D'Angelo
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 27, 2012
                Yes, 20,000 email address out of 310 million in the entire world. It's really a very small number and doesn't seem to match up to the constant activity since Monday. The spammer has been going alphabetically (probably a computer program by the hacker/spammer). It's now on the B's of AOL...

                Holding the link itself is not harmful - it's clicking on the link that will install the re-direct virus. For those that are on digest, don't freak about keeping digest versions of the group that might have some good material you wish to keep for future reference. This is not one of those "scary" just-by-seeing-it-you-are-infected spam emails. It's a typical spammer in every way except the level of people affected.

                Please, if you have any further comments or questions, feel free to email me directly. I hate to take up more time on this list regarding a very OT topic. :-)