Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Newbie

  • Isabella D'Angelo
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2012
      Tissue linen is best. Believe it or not, good ole Joanns has a lovely
      tissue linen/cotton blend that is *perfect* for chemises. I've used it for
      a couple of my own and love the stuff. Use a 50% off coupon and I've
      gotten it for as low as $6 a yard.

      -Isabella

    • SANDRA CRUSHER
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2012
        Katiana,

        I am aware that Maitresse Aspasia Moonwind has made italian chamises with embroidery around the neckline. She probably wouldn't mind getting her mind picked for tips and how-to's in construction.

        Valeria Serena Ongaro

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2012
          On 9/08/2012 10:42 p.m., Malinda wrote:
          > Very fine (light weight) linen or cotton vf(lw) such as a batiste depending on your budget. It would likely have been linen historically but cotton is much cheaper. Realm of Venus is in the final two weeks of IRCC so you might not get much reply until mid month. Now back to my own project

          I strongly recommend linen over cotton-- it's more breathable (and thus
          more comfortable) and harder-wearing than cotton. While cotton is
          cheaper on the whole, there are good deals to be had on linen, and the
          price difference per garment is often only a few dollars, anyway.

          --
          Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
          Dulce et decorum est pro patria pavlovam coxi.
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2012
            Thank you as well Dama Antonia. Because now I really want to get hold of a good linen and try it myself. I once had one linen blend shirt but didn't really notice a difference to cotton other than being able to do blackwork better because I could see the threads. Hopefully soon I can get some 100 % linen to try
            Now back to sewing

            Sent from my iPod

            On Aug 9, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Dama Antonia <dama.antonia@...> wrote:

            > On 9/08/2012 10:42 p.m., Malinda wrote:
            > > Very fine (light weight) linen or cotton vf(lw) such as a batiste depending on your budget. It would likely have been linen historically but cotton is much cheaper. Realm of Venus is in the final two weeks of IRCC so you might not get much reply until mid month. Now back to my own project
            > >

            > I strongly recommend linen over cotton-- it's more breathable (and thus
            > more comfortable) and harder-wearing than cotton. While cotton is
            > cheaper on the whole, there are good deals to be had on linen, and the
            > price difference per garment is often only a few dollars, anyway.
            >
            > --
            > Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
          • Kathy
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 12, 2012
              Many thanks for all of your advice and site suggestions.
              I am slowly going through the sites and photos, WOW!

              Katiana