Newbie

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8 10:08 PM
      Hi all;
      I'm new to the list, and am looking forward to learning a great many
      things from you all.
      I have been a russian persona for many years, and am ready for a change.
      My first question is what would be a good fabric to use for a chemise?
      I favor light and airy, and I want to do some embroidery on it around the neck line and down the sleeves.
      Please advise.
      Katiana
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9 3:00 AM
        Currently Festive Attyre is going through some changes and doesn't have all
        the early Florentine pics. like she had before though it looks like she will
        sometime get around to getting them back up again when she has the time.
        Here is 1575 -1600 working class, though my computer doesn't seem to get the
        pictures yours may.
        http://www.festiveattyre.com/p/examples-found-in-renaissance-art-from.html

        Then there is Realm of Venus.
        http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/wardrobe.htm
        I would recommend perusing these sites to get a better idea of style and
        period that you want and work from there. Most of the camicia (don't know
        the plural) aka chemises that were embroidered are found mostly in the
        1500s. Look in the Library and workbox on the RoV site for info and the
        Showcase for dress diaries.
        This should get you started while someone with more knowledge like Belle, is
        able to give you more. Note also that Pennsic is going on and many normally
        on this list may be there so it may take a while for them to answer.

        Alessandra

        My first question is what would be a good fabric to use for a chemise?
        I favor light and airy, and I want to do some embroidery on it around the
        neck line and down the sleeves.
        Please advise.
        Katiana
      • Malinda
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9 3:42 AM
          Very fine (light weight) linen or cotton vf(lw) such as a batiste depending on your budget. It would likely have been linen historically but cotton is much cheaper. Realm of Venus is in the final two weeks of IRCC so you might not get much reply until mid month. Now back to my own project

          Malinda

          Sent from my iPod

          On Aug 9, 2012, at 12:08 AM, "Kathy" <madkat4955@...> wrote:

          > Hi all;
          > I'm new to the list, and am looking forward to learning a great many
          > things from you all.
          > I have been a russian persona for many years, and am ready for a change.
          > My first question is what would be a good fabric to use for a chemise?
          > I favor light and airy, and I want to do some embroidery on it around the neck line and down the sleeves.
          > Please advise.
          > Katiana

        • Isabella D'Angelo
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9 5:22 AM
            Tissue linen is best. Believe it or not, good ole Joanns has a lovely
            tissue linen/cotton blend that is *perfect* for chemises. I've used it for
            a couple of my own and love the stuff. Use a 50% off coupon and I've
            gotten it for as low as $6 a yard.

            -Isabella

          • SANDRA CRUSHER
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9 6:49 AM
              Katiana,

              I am aware that Maitresse Aspasia Moonwind has made italian chamises with embroidery around the neckline. She probably wouldn't mind getting her mind picked for tips and how-to's in construction.

              Valeria Serena Ongaro

              Very fine (light weight) linen or cotton vf(lw) such as a batiste depending on your budget. It would likely have been linen historically but cotton is much cheaper. Realm of Venus is in the final two weeks of IRCC so you might not get much reply until mid month. Now back to my own project

              Malinda

              Sent from my iPod

              On Aug 9, 2012, at 12:08 AM, "Kathy" < madkat4955@... > wrote:

              > Hi all;
              > I'm new to the list, and am looking forward to learning a great many
              > things from you all.
              > I have been a russian persona for many years, and am ready for a change.
              > My first question is what would be a good fabric to use for a chemise?
              > I favor light and airy, and I want to do some embroidery on it around the neck line and down the sleeves.
              > Please advise.
              > Katiana

            • Dama Antonia
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9 3:25 PM
                On 9/08/2012 10:42 p.m., Malinda wrote:
                > Very fine (light weight) linen or cotton vf(lw) such as a batiste depending on your budget. It would likely have been linen historically but cotton is much cheaper. Realm of Venus is in the final two weeks of IRCC so you might not get much reply until mid month. Now back to my own project

                I strongly recommend linen over cotton-- it's more breathable (and thus
                more comfortable) and harder-wearing than cotton. While cotton is
                cheaper on the whole, there are good deals to be had on linen, and the
                price difference per garment is often only a few dollars, anyway.

                --
                Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
                Dulce et decorum est pro patria pavlovam coxi.
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 9 9:43 PM
                  Thank you as well Dama Antonia. Because now I really want to get hold of a good linen and try it myself. I once had one linen blend shirt but didn't really notice a difference to cotton other than being able to do blackwork better because I could see the threads. Hopefully soon I can get some 100 % linen to try
                  Now back to sewing

                  Sent from my iPod

                  On Aug 9, 2012, at 5:25 PM, Dama Antonia <dama.antonia@...> wrote:

                  > On 9/08/2012 10:42 p.m., Malinda wrote:
                  > > Very fine (light weight) linen or cotton vf(lw) such as a batiste depending on your budget. It would likely have been linen historically but cotton is much cheaper. Realm of Venus is in the final two weeks of IRCC so you might not get much reply until mid month. Now back to my own project
                  > >

                  > I strongly recommend linen over cotton-- it's more breathable (and thus
                  > more comfortable) and harder-wearing than cotton. While cotton is
                  > cheaper on the whole, there are good deals to be had on linen, and the
                  > price difference per garment is often only a few dollars, anyway.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
                • Kathy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 12 9:49 AM
                    Many thanks for all of your advice and site suggestions.
                    I am slowly going through the sites and photos, WOW!

                    Katiana