Borgias???

  • fionnghualaingheanuilliam
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17, 2012
      Greetings all,

      With the start of season 2 of Showtime's The Borgias, I had someone ask me how period correct the ladies dresses were. Not being an expert, I thought I'd come to the group that I consider to be experts.

      The dresses are beautiful, but are they what would have been worn in Rome at the end of the 15th and beginning of the 16th centuries?

      I appreciate that everyone in this group is so willing to share their knowledge...so that I can come off sounding like I know what I'm talking about.

      Thank you for your time,

      Fionnghuala
    • Cilean_69
      Message 2 of 2 , May 18, 2012
        Hollywood, hmm, well I can say that it looks like Venetian or Florentine clothing from the 15th Century, I don't know how different Roman clothing in the 15th Century is, I can't seem to find anything regarding it!

        But I do love the colors they have chosen, if you look at Festive Attyre: http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/portfolio.html

        And Anea's Site: http://www.aneafiles.webs.com/index.htm

        An the another awesome site is Bella's: http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net

        These will show you portraits of the time and statues! You can see that the Costumer for the Borgias did look towards history to create the fashions we see, I don't know about all the awesome striped fabrics, but it has me lusting for an early period Florentine or Venetian gown.

        I was down in the LA Garment District recently and one of the shops has a striped black, silver, purple drapery fabric, that would be splendid indeed!!