Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Fabric colour query

  • JolieH2000@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
      Hi there,

      I have several questions while this thread is up! Still slowly but steadily learning Italian Ren Costuming but getting stumped at figuring out how to be able to see as many paintings as possible ala online -- and the ones you posted were ones that I had not seen but the first. So question one or request one: Any hints/clues/useful information on how to search for gowns please!?
      And how did you know that all three dresses were from Venice?

      It would be amazing to do something other than Florentine or Venetian -- how does one find what they were wearing in Milan or Rome or some other city state? Or is that were the wealth of painting are from and so that is the why?

      Many thanks in advance!

      Jolie'

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
        De wrote:
        SNIP
        > Some very good sites.
        SNIP
        > There is another site "Oonagh's Own" but for some reason my computer doesn't
        > like her site.

        Since GeoCities was ended, Oonagh's extensive site has, to the best of my knowledge, never been fully recreated. Some of it is accessible via:
        http://webspace.webring.com/people/lo/oonaghsown/

        Fiametta Basilio
      • Susan B. Farmer
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
          On 3/9/2012 6:27 PM, Aly/Cemper wrote:
          > Whilst on my travels I was able to secure a very lovely rust dupioni silk (for the dress) and a gold stripped dupioni with a scroll pattern (as an underskirt). My crowning glory was the hand woven and hand beaded grey silk. I could only afford one yard and thought I'd use it for sleeves.
          >
          > Here is the dilemma, I cannot find any evidence that different colours were used for garb in the Italian style. Most of the portraits show women whose dresses are all one colour except for the later Italian dresses with the stiff collars and occasionally I find a secondary colour for the bottom of a sleeve.

          Here's an album of stuff that I've found

          http://pics.livejournal.com/florentinescot/gallery/00011350

          Jerusha
          --
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 12, 2012
            Usually you can guess where it is from by the artist and where he was when he or she was painting. Also after a while you get the feel of the styles and their origins. For example Venice in the late 1400s was high waisted and Florence of that period was a bit above the natural waistline.
            Yes, there are paintings of women from other City States (this is what they were called as Italy was not as we know it now) I have noticed in looking through many paintings that because Venice and Florence were strong City States, they seem to set the fashion style for their surrounding areas.
            Realm of Venus is a good place to start out and then once you get familiar with things you can search for your town. Not all of the pictures are of Venice that are on the RoV. Peruse through RoV, first as the Artcyclopedia is long and you have to weed through A LOT.

            De
            aka: Donna Alessandra Cicilia di Anselmo da Parma