RE: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Fabric colour query

    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
      -----Original Message-----
      Cemper, is this the pink with green sleeves that you are talking about?
      http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/Lady1535.JPG
      <<Yes.Sorry my adjective use is on the blitz so thank you for figuring it out :)>>

      De: The above is Venetian

      This is two different fabrics for the bodice and the skirt
      http://festiveattyre.com/research/florentine/flor13.html
      <<<thank you!! That is even the sleeve look that I'm looking for>>>

      De: have tried to find the site with a larger picture. There does appear to be something of a different material at the hem. It could be the same as the bodice and sleeve and the woman is wearing an apron skirt over it or it could be trim which Venetians were known to have on their hems from time to time.

      This is most likely applique but it might be patchwork
      http://festiveattyre.com/research/secondflor/secflor33.html
      <<I have not seen this picture before (nor the other) would the puff have ended above the elbow or below it? I also noted that the camica has cuffed sleeves, is that period for the Florentine dresses?
      2 colors.

      De: These are Venetians and the puff sleeves stop at the elbow. Sometimes the upper part of the sleeve was connected to the forearm part and other time it was separate.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lorenzo_Lotto_046.jpg
      Thanks De! This will be only my second Italian and I want to get it right.

      I do recommend if you are not planning on it,is make a mock up of the outfit with inexpensive material. This way you perfect the pattern before cutting into the good fabric.

      Some very good sites.
      Festive Attyre (Florentine)
      http://festiveattyre.com/research/index.html

      Dress diary for a 1515 Florentine
      http://festiveattyre.com/gallery/florentine/earlyflor.html

      A dress diary but not for the silk (for your third)
      http://festiveattyre.com/gallery/campi/wkclass.html

      Realm of Venus (Venice)
      http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/
      Wardrobe takes you to the paintings.
      Library is the articles
      Workbox is extant items
      Showcase gives you pictures of people" sewing achievements and sometime dress diary.

      There is another site "Oonagh's Own" but for some reason my computer doesn't like her site.

      Purple files
      http://katerina.purplefiles.net/garb/Kat's_Closet.html

      Artcyclopedia
      http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/early-renaissance.html
      http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/high-renaissance.html

      More extant garments
      http://aneafiles.webs.com/renaissancegallery/extant.html
      If you scroll down the house dress you will see a picture of a woman wearing an apron skirt.

      You might want to check out late Venetian 1400s as I believe that there are some outfits that have the bodice one color and the skirt and sleeves another. Or here
      http://tinyurl.com/25jnugy
      The woman's outer gown has a gold bodice with a red skirt.

      Then you have here,
      http://tinyurl.com/29tomy9
      The woman in the background has a green gown with gold sleeves and a goldish apron.

      Transition
      http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/LICINIOCourtald.jpg
      sleeve different color then gown. with some of the later "V" front dresses you will find something a kin to a plastron but the sleeves are the same material as the gown.

      Similar styles, the second one has her bodice open but probably has the same closure in the front.
      http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/WomanInBlue.jpg
      http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/LaBella.JPG
    • JolieH2000@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
        Hi there,

        I have several questions while this thread is up! Still slowly but steadily learning Italian Ren Costuming but getting stumped at figuring out how to be able to see as many paintings as possible ala online -- and the ones you posted were ones that I had not seen but the first. So question one or request one: Any hints/clues/useful information on how to search for gowns please!?
        And how did you know that all three dresses were from Venice?

        It would be amazing to do something other than Florentine or Venetian -- how does one find what they were wearing in Milan or Rome or some other city state? Or is that were the wealth of painting are from and so that is the why?

        Many thanks in advance!

        Jolie'

[...]

        ~Cemper

        One cannot silly-walk into Mordor.

        ________________________________

      • lilinah@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
          De wrote:
          SNIP
          > Some very good sites.
          SNIP
          > There is another site "Oonagh's Own" but for some reason my computer doesn't
          > like her site.

          Since GeoCities was ended, Oonagh's extensive site has, to the best of my knowledge, never been fully recreated. Some of it is accessible via:
          http://webspace.webring.com/people/lo/oonaghsown/

          Fiametta Basilio
        • Susan B. Farmer
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 11, 2012
            On 3/9/2012 6:27 PM, Aly/Cemper wrote:
            > Whilst on my travels I was able to secure a very lovely rust dupioni silk (for the dress) and a gold stripped dupioni with a scroll pattern (as an underskirt). My crowning glory was the hand woven and hand beaded grey silk. I could only afford one yard and thought I'd use it for sleeves.
            >
            > Here is the dilemma, I cannot find any evidence that different colours were used for garb in the Italian style. Most of the portraits show women whose dresses are all one colour except for the later Italian dresses with the stiff collars and occasionally I find a secondary colour for the bottom of a sleeve.

            Here's an album of stuff that I've found

            http://pics.livejournal.com/florentinescot/gallery/00011350

            Jerusha
            --
            Susan Farmer
            sfarmer@...
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 12, 2012
              Usually you can guess where it is from by the artist and where he was when he or she was painting. Also after a while you get the feel of the styles and their origins. For example Venice in the late 1400s was high waisted and Florence of that period was a bit above the natural waistline.
              Yes, there are paintings of women from other City States (this is what they were called as Italy was not as we know it now) I have noticed in looking through many paintings that because Venice and Florence were strong City States, they seem to set the fashion style for their surrounding areas.
              Realm of Venus is a good place to start out and then once you get familiar with things you can search for your town. Not all of the pictures are of Venice that are on the RoV. Peruse through RoV, first as the Artcyclopedia is long and you have to weed through A LOT.

              De
              aka: Donna Alessandra Cicilia di Anselmo da Parma