shoes for common woman, man and child?

  • mfun2003
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
      Hello,
      I'm attempting to make outfits similar to those seen in Campi's paintings (Fish Monger, Market, Fruit Seller), 1575-1600. I've been using the Reconstructing History pattern as well as the Festive Attyre website (paintings and dress diary). What I need now are ideas for shoes for two options: 1) quick and inexpensive; 2) nicer for when I have money and time to spend on finding new shoes.

      Our local fair is in 1 week and I don't have time to make chopines. What else could the three of us wear to a renaissance faire that won't stick out too much. My 8 year old daughter may insist on wearing her tennis shoes (just getting her to wear a dress is difficult enough these days), so I may just need ideas for self and husband. I'm still working on the clothing, so for now I only have enough time and money to shop thrift stores, and inexpensive shoe sources.

      It's also likely to be pretty hot, so I'm also looking for footwear that will allow our feet to breath (I don't hold up well in warm weather). I've started looking at making latchet-style shoes for my husband, but haven't found the right base shoes yet (very shoe size). Would it even be appropriate for the time period and country?

      Once I have the time and money, what kind shoes would be appropriate? I can look at shops at the faire, but what do I look for? With an 8-year old whose feet are always growing, what would you buy?

      Thanks for your assistance!
      Marge
    • Isabella D'Angelo
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
      • Isabella D'Angelo
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
          Oh! Almost forgot! Here's an extant pair at the Met:

          http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_of_Art/collection_database/the_costume_institute/slippers/objectview.aspx?collid=8&oid=80039513

          They don't look too dissimilar to our ballet flats today.
        • Vandy Tune
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
            Dear Marge,

            The chopine was not for everyday use. The most commonly worn shoe was a
            simple slip on leather slipper with a leather sole, very similar to a pair
            of leather slippers you can purchase from walmart.
            Zoccoli, another common shoe, resembles our modern wedge sandals.. try
            these for comfort and authenticity as well.

            Franca
            On Sep 8, 2011 10:32 AM, "mfun2003" <totobiki@...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            > I'm attempting to make outfits similar to those seen in Campi's paintings
            (Fish Monger, Market, Fruit Seller), 1575-1600. I've been using the
            Reconstructing History pattern as well as the Festive Attyre website
            (paintings and dress diary). What I need now are ideas for shoes for two
            to spend on finding new shoes.

            > Our local fair is in 1 week and I don't have time to make chopines. What
            else could the three of us wear to a renaissance faire that won't stick out
            too much. My 8 year old daughter may insist on wearing her tennis shoes
            (just getting her to wear a dress is difficult enough these days), so I may
            just need ideas for self and husband. I'm still working on the clothing, so
            for now I only have enough time and money to shop thrift stores, and
            inexpensive shoe sources.

            > It's also likely to be pretty hot, so I'm also looking for footwear that
            will allow our feet to breath (I don't hold up well in warm weather). I've
            started looking at making latchet-style shoes for my husband, but haven't
            found the right base shoes yet (very shoe size). Would it even be
            appropriate for the time period and country?

            > Once I have the time and money, what kind shoes would be appropriate? I
            can look at shops at the faire, but what do I look for? With an 8-year old
            whose feet are always growing, what would you buy?

            > Thanks for your assistance!
            > Marge

          • Raphaella DiContini
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 8, 2011
              Greetings,
                    If you'd like to see some examples of various classes of Italian shoes, here's a great site: http://aands.org/raisedheels/Pictorial/illustrations.php

              If you look in the lessons section he also walks through step by step instructions on how to make each of the styles. It looks like from the class you're aiming for and the images in art you're likely wanting to make pantoufles, which aren't nearly so high as chopines. http://aands.org/raisedheels/Lesson2/pantoufle.php

              I completely agree with Franca that simple leather slippers & / or    simple wedges with the right profile may be your best bet for a quick, easy and relatively inexpensive solution.

              In joyous service,
              Raffaella

              The chopine was not for everyday use.  The most commonly worn shoe was a
              simple slip on leather slipper with a leather sole, very similar to a pair
              of leather slippers you can purchase from walmart.
              Zoccoli, another common shoe, resembles our modern wedge sandals..  try
              these for comfort and authenticity as well.

              Franca
              On Sep 8, 2011 10:32 AM, "mfun2003" <totobiki@...> wrote:
              > Hello,
              > I'm attempting to make outfits similar to those seen in Campi's paintings
              (Fish Monger, Market, Fruit Seller), 1575-1600. I've been using the
              Reconstructing History pattern as well as the Festive Attyre website
              (paintings and dress diary). What I need now are ideas for shoes for two
              to spend on finding new shoes.

              > Our local fair is in 1 week and I don't have time to make chopines. What
              else could the three of us wear to a renaissance faire that won't stick out
              too much. My 8 year old daughter may insist on wearing her tennis shoes
              (just getting her to wear a dress is difficult enough these days), so I may
              just need ideas for self and husband. I'm still working on the clothing, so
              for now I only have enough time and money to shop thrift stores, and
              inexpensive shoe sources.

              > It's also likely to be pretty hot, so I'm also looking for footwear that
              will allow our feet to breath (I don't hold up well in warm weather). I've
              started looking at making latchet-style shoes for my husband, but haven't
              found the right base shoes yet (very shoe size). Would it even be
              appropriate for the time period and country?

              > Once I have the time and money, what kind shoes would be appropriate? I
              can look at shops at the faire, but what do I look for? With an 8-year old
              whose feet are always growing, what would you buy?

              > Thanks for your assistance!
              > Marge

            • mfun2003
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 9, 2011
                Thank you to everyone who sent in information about shoes! I had looked around on the internet a little, but had never come across most of the links that were sent. I think I'm ready to look around the stores now to find something quick for this faire and I also know what to look for when I'm ready to spend more time on shoes.

                Marge
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
                  Hello all,

                  I didn't report the results of the Italian Ren Costuming Challenge back when it ended, mainly due to the fact that I was a bit distracted by some real life stuff, but to remedy that situation...

                  Of the starting 34 entrants  - 25 from the US, 7 from Australia and one each from NZ and Canada - 14 costumers survived the four-month long marathon of sewing and photo-taking.

                  The results are available to view by clicking on the following link. The overall winner also won 'Best Novice: Italian Renaissance Costume' because it was her first ever Italian Ren outfit. Congratulations to her and the other winners, as well as everyone who managed to make it to the end - that was some feat!

                  http://renaissanceitaly.net/TempFiles/ItalRenCostumingChallenge-Winners.htm

                  Lady Bella Lucia da Verona (Anabella Wake)
                  The Realm of Venus@ RenaissanceItaly.net
                  The Barony of Innilgard, Lochac (Adelaide, South Australia)

                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 14, 2011
                    The Italian Renaissance Costuming Challenge ran from April to August this year in celebration of The Realm of Venus' tenth year online. It was the first Challenge I had ever run, and a lot of fun for not only the participants, but for me too. But a four month long sewing challenge such as that can only occur once a year. And so was born the idea of a Mini-Challenge: a one-month long challenge.

                    This first Mini-Challenge will be the 'Idle Hands' challenge and will run between 1 and 31 of October. The aim is to create one or more - as few or as many as you want - items that fit the criteria:

                     - an item in an Italian Renaissance style that was usually carried or worn on the hand: hanky, fan, gloves, muff, bracelet and ring. Zibellini (the so-called 'flea furs') were often dangled at the end of a girdle, but since they were also carried in the hand or draped over a wrist I will also allow them to be entered. I have also had a query about the parasol, which is of course carried in the hand, so that can also be entered.

                    The item must be started from scratch no earlier than October 1. You have from now until 30 September to register as a participant (information on how to register is on the website, link below).

                    Only one winning item will be chosen, based on the following factors: period-accuracy (most important) hand-work (second in importance), and beauty (very subjective of course). And yes, there will be a prize. A $US20 or $AUS20(or £15 or €15) Gift Certificate from the online retailer of the winner's choice, to be provided by yours truly.

                    If you would like to enter please visit the following page, scroll to the bottom and follow the instructions:

                    http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/challenges/IRCMC-Oct2011-Participants.htm