Cutwork Sleeves

  • Karen Finnemore
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2011
      For those who have made cutwork sleeves from velvet (such as those shown on
      this gown: http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/ven4.jpg), did
      you use stabilizer or any treatment on the fabric first? What did you use
      to cut the fabric (scissors, exacto knife, etc.) I am preparing to make
      this gown and would love to hear what worked or didn't work for others.

      In Service,
      Lady Renata l'rouge
      --

      http://embroiderywithren.blogspot.com

    • Kathy Dwyer
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2011
        The link isn't working for me, Lady, so I'm going to reasonably guess which one you are talking about, and one of my cut work sleeves happens to be on there. Mine is the red velvet with white cutwork.

        How I accomplished the cut work was to spray the back with a stiffener. It turned the fabric into a crunchy thin paper like consistency, then a light mist of temporary adhesive to attach the cutwork pattern, and used a very sharp art knife to cut the design. Once the pattern was complete, the paper was taken off carefully and replaced with a light silk that also was stiffened and attached with a light mist of temporary adhesive to make everything firm while I stitched down the velvet to the silk.

        It's been several years since I finished this project and about as long since I read my documentation which may even have the product names in it, all I remember is that the products are used for quilting. And the project worked so successfully that it went right the first time, which often scares me! :-)

        Salvi

        It’s never too late to be who you might have been.-George Eliot
        Usque ad ultimum spiritum, spe ducemur, cum fide vivemus et benigne in aeternum amabimus - Until our last dying breath, with hope we will dream, with faith we will live and with grace we will love forever.
        Love is a daily, mutual exchange of value. -Denis Waitley

      • Karen Finnemore
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2011
          Thank you, kindly!

          -Renata