Burkhardt--Renaissance in Italy

  • Chris Catalfamo
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2011
      and ran into the historian who coined the word Renaissance and was the first
      to treat an historical era in its entirety defined by cultural history.
      Jacob Burkhardt published his book on the Italian Ren in the mid 19th
      century. Apparently he dates the beginning in the late 13th century and full
      swing by the late 14th. He set the stage for other historians in identifying
      a cultural movement largely influenced by the widening of the Italian world
      by the global mercantile trade. Burkhardt set the end at 1600. I knew the
      dates but not the story. Am going to try to otrder Burkhardt-surely there
      are reprints. Some of the questions on the list prompt me to answer "what
      decade?" in terms of pattern choice. The original theory dates the
      Renaissance even farther back than late 15th--but of course only in the
      nobility and the rich mercantile class.

    • Chris Catalfamo
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29, 2011
        Here you go:
        http://www.amazon.com/Civilization-Renaissance-Italy-ebook/dp/B002MKNM92/ref
        =kinw_dp_ke?ie=UTF8
        <http://www.amazon.com/Civilization-Renaissance-Italy-ebook/dp/B002MKNM92/re
        f=kinw_dp_ke?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2> &m=AG56TWVU5XWC2
        I got it for Kindle for 99 cents. (Have to sit in a dialysis chair 3 times a
        week--better than stacks of books.)

        _____