[Italian Renaissance Costuming] Re: crinkled partlet

  • SCA
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 26 7:27 PM
      That's what I was thinking, tone on tone perhaps.

      Hallie

      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Isabella D'Angelo" <isabelladangelo@...> wrote:

      > I'm not entirely sure it is crinkled. To me, it looks like it could be an embroidery pattern of some sort. We do know that embroidery was more stylistic than realistic towards the beginning and middle of the 16th century. Why not just some wavy whitework on a few near transparent partlets? There are several other depictions of decorated partlets from around Europe during the same time period.
      >
      > -Isabella

    • SCA
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 26 7:29 PM
        I recently bught some crinkled taffeta like that!

        Hallie

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 26 10:10 PM
          http://tinyurl.com/6frduvf
          If you look at the shoulder region, it looks like sheer, bubbled fabric. The
          right looks like it is raised off the skin.
          De
          (Just in case some don't know, if you click on the pic. you should get a
          larger pic.)

          <isabelladangelo@...> wrote:

          > I'm not entirely sure it is crinkled. To me, it looks like it could be an
          embroidery pattern of some sort. We do know that embroidery was more
          stylistic than realistic towards the beginning and middle of the 16th
          century. Why not just some wavy whitework on a few near transparent
          partlets? There are several other depictions of decorated partlets from
          around Europe during the same time period.

          > -Isabella

        • ann marie
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 28 6:25 AM
            I have the book, fabric manipulation.
            Indeed, it does give methods of creating the crinkled partlet.
            Marsaili

            --
            Hearts never look both ways first. - Tanya Jarrett

          • Chris Catalfamo
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28 8:12 AM
              Oh boo. MNow I have to order it. Wish there were more places to wear this
              stuff. Our Fair turned to Henry VIII decades.

              _____

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 28 1:32 PM
                Ummm....what prevents you from showing up as in Italian? Henry died in 1547
                so `30s and 40s would be your wardrobe range. The portrait with Lucrezia
                Panciatichi with the wavy partlet was painted in 1540. It's not like only
                English folk lived in England at the time. :)

                Venice during Henry's time(sampling)
                http://tinyurl.com/3kxzz82
                http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/LauraDaPola.JPG
                http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/Venschunknown.jpg

                Florentine and other cities
                http://festiveattyre.com/research/secondflor/portfolio.html

                English and other various countries
                http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/Various_3.htm

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28 2:09 PM
                  I do. 1530's Italian.I was being obscure. I meant Vecellio. Pgh used to be
                  late 16th. So that's where my concentration is--all Italian. I'm scared of
                  English Tudor so I mainly do 1530's, though am contemplating a 1540's for
                  sometime in the future.

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 29 12:58 AM
                    Saluti!
                    I've got this lovely crinkled white cotton with a single line of gold thread at every inch. I want to make a chemise out of it for my 12th Night dress. What I worry about is is this too far away from Italian Renaissance to do it. I'm debating about fabric for the rest of my dress. I've got several different pieces of fabric to choose from and I want to bead the bodice and maybe the sleeves. My concern is that the chemise will be too far out of line for the rest of the garb. Do you any opinions? I could really use the help from this very talented group.
                    Leonarda Castellani