RE: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Re: crinkled partlet

    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 23, 2011
      I remember long time ago when reading about Fortune' that the crinkled
      material that he was famous for was not his original creation but a
      rediscovery of an old fabric treatment that was done in the renaissance
      possibly older. So it is possible that the partlet could be of the crinkled
      fabric process that was spoken of.

      Given this thread, I was amused to find this fabric while rummaging through
      the discount piles at a local fabric store.

      http://pbr21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/annikki73/2011-07-20180224.jpg?t=13
      11312755

      Adele

    • SCA
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 26, 2011
        That's what I was thinking, tone on tone perhaps.

        Hallie

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Isabella D'Angelo" <isabelladangelo@...> wrote:

        > I'm not entirely sure it is crinkled. To me, it looks like it could be an embroidery pattern of some sort. We do know that embroidery was more stylistic than realistic towards the beginning and middle of the 16th century. Why not just some wavy whitework on a few near transparent partlets? There are several other depictions of decorated partlets from around Europe during the same time period.
        >
        > -Isabella

      • SCA
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 26, 2011
          I recently bught some crinkled taffeta like that!

          Hallie

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 26, 2011
            http://tinyurl.com/6frduvf
            If you look at the shoulder region, it looks like sheer, bubbled fabric. The
            right looks like it is raised off the skin.
            De
            (Just in case some don't know, if you click on the pic. you should get a
            larger pic.)

            <isabelladangelo@...> wrote:

            > I'm not entirely sure it is crinkled. To me, it looks like it could be an
            embroidery pattern of some sort. We do know that embroidery was more
            stylistic than realistic towards the beginning and middle of the 16th
            century. Why not just some wavy whitework on a few near transparent
            partlets? There are several other depictions of decorated partlets from
            around Europe during the same time period.

            > -Isabella

          • ann marie
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28, 2011
              I have the book, fabric manipulation.
              Indeed, it does give methods of creating the crinkled partlet.
              Marsaili

              --
              Hearts never look both ways first. - Tanya Jarrett

            • Chris Catalfamo
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 28, 2011
                Oh boo. MNow I have to order it. Wish there were more places to wear this
                stuff. Our Fair turned to Henry VIII decades.

                _____

                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28, 2011
                  Ummm....what prevents you from showing up as in Italian? Henry died in 1547
                  so `30s and 40s would be your wardrobe range. The portrait with Lucrezia
                  Panciatichi with the wavy partlet was painted in 1540. It's not like only
                  English folk lived in England at the time. :)

                  Venice during Henry's time(sampling)
                  http://tinyurl.com/3kxzz82
                  http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/LauraDaPola.JPG
                  http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/Venschunknown.jpg

                  Florentine and other cities
                  http://festiveattyre.com/research/secondflor/portfolio.html

                  English and other various countries
                  http://www.elizabethan-portraits.com/Various_3.htm

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 28, 2011
                    I do. 1530's Italian.I was being obscure. I meant Vecellio. Pgh used to be
                    late 16th. So that's where my concentration is--all Italian. I'm scared of
                    English Tudor so I mainly do 1530's, though am contemplating a 1540's for
                    sometime in the future.

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 29, 2011
                      Saluti!
                      I've got this lovely crinkled white cotton with a single line of gold thread at every inch. I want to make a chemise out of it for my 12th Night dress. What I worry about is is this too far away from Italian Renaissance to do it. I'm debating about fabric for the rest of my dress. I've got several different pieces of fabric to choose from and I want to bead the bodice and maybe the sleeves. My concern is that the chemise will be too far out of line for the rest of the garb. Do you any opinions? I could really use the help from this very talented group.
                      Leonarda Castellani