Re: Hello

  • wulfgirl
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 16 6:16 PM
      --- In italianrenaissancecostuming@y..., "brianaetain"
      <brianaetain@y...> wrote:

      > Our local Canton is hosting an event in August that is late 16th
      > century and a group of us are putting together courtesan garb for
      it.

      Have you also tried the Courtesan Group? That is another good list
      for info on Period Courtesans and also late-period Italian garb.

      -Juliana di Rossi
    • empathia50
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 23 12:23 PM
        Hello everyone!

        I'm not an SCA member but I love the Italian Renaissance. The
        dresses are the most romantic that I have ever seen. I have been a
        seamtress since 10 and I sew for fun and sometimes for RenFair garb.
        From the post and files this seems to be a lovely group.

        Unes*
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 23 5:41 PM
          --- empathia50 <Empathia50@...> wrote:

          Hello everyone!

          I'm not an SCA member but I love the Italian
          Renaissance. The dresses are the most romantic that I
          have ever seen. I have been a seamtress since 10 and I
          sew for fun and sometimes for RenFair garb.
          From the post and files this seems to be a lovely
          group.

          Unes*<<<<<

          Hi there, I'm new here myself but I just had to say
          that I agree with you - I read every past message and
          this is a happy friendly bunch of people. :)

          May I just ask why you don't play in the SCA? :)

          Bella

          http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
          - A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!
        • empathia50
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 24 6:57 AM

            > "May I just ask why you don't play in the SCA? :)
            >

            > Bella"

            Actually Bella, I just became aware of the SCA last year while I was
            searching for patterns. I would say that time is the reason that I
            have not applied for membership. I am working to be a recovering
            work-a-holic now though. I would absolutely love to. I know that
            there are various Kingdoms and Guilds, and I am not very good at the
            sword, but I collect them. I fancy myself a bard, as I do sing and
            tell a good story. I could be a gypsy, for I read the cards. I
            could be a moroccan merchant because I know my wares. I could be a
            courtesan, cause I love to stand around-looking good*:-)

            Unes*
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24 5:27 PM
              --- empathia50 <Empathia50@...> wrote:

              Actually Bella, I just became aware of the SCA last
              year while I was searching for patterns. I would say
              that time is the reason that I have not applied for
              membership.<<<<

              I understand that! But you don't have to pay
              membership to be able to play - do you? Over here
              (Lochac) we don't...but it might be different
              elsewhere...

              though. I would absolutely love to. I know that
              there are various Kingdoms and Guilds, and I am not
              very good at the sword, but I collect them. I fancy
              myself a bard, as I do sing and tell a good story. I
              could be a gypsy, for I read the cards. I could be a
              moroccan merchant because I know my wares. I could be
              a courtesan, cause I love to stand around-looking
              good*:-)<<<<

              You sound perfect for the sca! Mind you, I wish I
              could stand around and look good without all the work
              of sewing and learning to embroider! I *would* be a
              bard (poetry) if I wasn't so stage shy - so for now
              I'll be content to sit in the background and help our
              guild get off the ground in what small way I can (I
              designed the cover of our newletter The Muse and have
              a candidate for our guild device which hasn't been
              chosen yet). Maybe one day I'll learn to play the
              lute...a very courtesanly pastime.... :)

              Bella

              http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
              - A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!
            • systemgoddess
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 28, 2003
                Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lydia and I'm about to
                embark on a recreation of the 1545 Eleanora di Toledo dress. I'm
                getting the Janet Arnold book for X-mas that I think has the pattern
                for that gown in it. If not, I'll be cleaning out the dollar table at
                Wal-Mart when I make my toile *grin* As of now I am searching for
                just the right buttons for this dress. From the looks of it I will
                need at least 72 so hopefully I can find some that are inexpensive!

                Lydia
              • autumn
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 28, 2003
                  Try www.cheaptrims.com for buttons, you can buy them in the gross
                  from there.

                  Emelyn

                  As of now I am searching for
                  > just the right buttons for this dress. From the looks of it I will
                  > need at least 72 so hopefully I can find some that are inexpensive!
                  >
                  > Lydia
                • systemgoddess
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 28, 2003
                    Thanks Autumn! I didn't find any buttons there but they have some
                    gorgeous Venice lace on sale. I have found some that I like and look
                    to be a close match to the ones she has.
                    http://www.pewterreplicas.com/detail.asp?id=111&selcurrencies=USD

                    Lydia
                  • Mary Bader Montgomery
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 28, 2003
                      At 08:05 PM 11/28/03 +0000, you wrote:
                      >Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lydia and I'm about to
                      >embark on a recreation of the 1545 Eleanora di Toledo dress. I'm
                      >getting the Janet Arnold book for X-mas that I think has the pattern
                      >for that gown in it. If not, I'll be cleaning out the dollar table at
                      >Wal-Mart when I make my toile *grin* As of now I am searching for
                      >just the right buttons for this dress. From the looks of it I will
                      >need at least 72 so hopefully I can find some that are inexpensive!
                      >
                      >Lydia

                      Hie yourself to www.cheeptrims.com for your buttons. Wide selection and if
                      you need a mortload of buttons, they're your place, as they require you to
                      get lots at a time, at astonishingly low prices.

                      Mary Taran