Florentine Partlets

  • Ashley Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2011
      Greetings unto the list,

      As of late, I have become increasingly interested in early 16th century
      Florentine partlets, namely such as the one shown in Raphael's "La Muta." I
      usually costume from a little later in the period so I can avoid such
      partlets but I'm considering a new outfit that would incorporate one and I
      find myself to be slightly stumped. It is obviously draped over the gown
      rather than being tucked into the bodice, as I have seen in other paintings,
      but is it pinned or is it simply lying there? Also, for those who have
      constructed such partlets, what material did you find to be the best? I am
      a rather thrifty costumer and I have always been satisfied as long as the
      finished product looks period without necessarily having to be 100% period,
      so I will not shun the suggestion of non-silk material. This outfit will be
      worn indoors, so breathability is not necessarily an issue. Huzzah for air
      conditioning.

      Any and all advice and insights will be greatly appreciated!

      In servizio e con rispetto,
      Vittoria

        Message 3 of 3 , May 23, 2011
          Hi all,

          For those of you eagerly awaiting the release of the second 'Moda a Firenze' book ('Moda a Firenze: Cosimo I de Medici's Style): the publisher has told me that problems with the images to be used in the book have resulted in yet another delay. They now expect it ready by July. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Good news is that you can pre-order this from Amazon.com for US$125. If you would like to pre-order please consider doing so through my links and I will earn a little from Amazon. All proceeds go to the maintenance of the website. :-)

          http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/

          Bella
          PS...don't forget to check out the progress in the Italian Renaissance Costuming Challenge. Some really nice stuff being created!
          http://renaissanceitaly.net/TempFiles/ItalRenCostumingChallenge-Entrants.htm