Plus Sized Italian Renaissance Patterns?

  • hillaryrose7
    Message 1 of 11 , May 1, 2011
      Hello Everyone!

      I'm trying to find some plus-sized Italian Renaissance gown patterns so I can expand my wardrobe, but I'm not having much luck. The period I am aiming for is the late 1400's and early 1500's (empire waist, tied-on sleeves, etc.). If there are any books, patterns, websites, or companies that you think would be helpful, I would be most grateful if you shared them with me! Thanks!

      Have a great day!

      Elisabetta di Portinari
    • Gwynlyn
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2011
        Try Reconstructing History. I had to lose weight to fit the largest size, then although my measurements are an exact match for the largest pattern size, I still had to take it in a couple inches. The patterns are very easy to work with and adjust for size, and I have no talent for adjusting patterns and still found it very simple to work with.

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "hillaryrose7" <hillaryrose7@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone!
        >
        > I'm trying to find some plus-sized Italian Renaissance gown patterns so I can expand my wardrobe, but I'm not having much luck. The period I am aiming for is the late 1400's and early 1500's (empire waist, tied-on sleeves, etc.). If there are any books, patterns, websites, or companies that you think would be helpful, I would be most grateful if you shared them with me! Thanks!
        >
        > Have a great day!
        >
        > Elisabetta di Portinari

      • Antonia di B C
        Message 3 of 11 , May 1, 2011
          On 2/05/2011 8:38 AM, hillaryrose7 wrote:
          > Hello Everyone!
          >
          > I'm trying to find some plus-sized Italian Renaissance gown patterns so I can expand my wardrobe, but I'm not having much luck. The period I am aiming for is the late 1400's and early 1500's (empire waist, tied-on sleeves, etc.). If there are any books, patterns, websites, or companies that you think would be helpful, I would be most grateful if you shared them with me!

          I'm not a patterns person to any extent, but there are some options out
          there (depending on what you mean by plus-sized.

          Reconstructing History fit up to 41" waist, 48" bust
          http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/products/rh512-1530s-florentine-ladys-gown
          http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/products/rh511-1500s-1525-florentine-womans-outfit
          http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/products/italian-ren-ladys-package-1
          (and many others)

          Period Patterns go up to a size 18
          http://www.sykesutler.com/ppbrand.htm

          There's always drafting your own-- this is a fair approximation of what
          I do, and I'm definitely plus-sized
          http://www.renaissancetailor.com/demos_patterndraft.htm

          --
          Antonia di Benedetto Calvo
          Dulce et decorum est pro patria pavlovam coxi.
          Message 4 of 11 , May 2, 2011
            Hilary,

            Reconstructing History has some time periods within the Italian City States, but you will need to toile them because the can be 'iffy' on larger people.

            Margo said she is now working on some patterns but that will take some time so I suggest trying Reconstructing history for now!

            Then you will need to measure yourself and then work with adding inches.

            Good luck!

            Cilean

            --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "hillaryrose7" <hillaryrose7@...> wrote:

            > Hello Everyone!
            >
            > I'm trying to find some plus-sized Italian Renaissance gown patterns so I can expand my wardrobe, but I'm not having much luck. The period I am aiming for is the late 1400's and early 1500's (empire waist, tied-on sleeves, etc.). If there are any books, patterns, websites, or companies that you think would be helpful, I would be most grateful if you shared them with me! Thanks!
            >
            > Have a great day!
            >
            > Elisabetta di Portinari

          • Cilean_69
            Message 5 of 11 , May 2, 2011
              You know what I do like about Reconstructing? I keep my actual pattern clean and I go to Kinko's and make a copy, now I use it only for myself but I have lost from a size 22 to a 18/16, so I like using the copy.

              Then when I do need to add (and I have had to add as much as 6 inches, so don't feel badly if you have to as well!) I use the side empty parts to make the pattern fit me!

              Always measure, just because it says a Size 20? Does not mean it is a size 20!! Plus I am short in my waist and long in my legs, and I am 5 10 to boot!

              So I always have to alter things to make sure my waist is not down by my crotch! LOL

              Cilean
            • hillaryrose7
              Message 6 of 11 , May 2, 2011
                Thank you very much for your recommendations, Everyone! It looks like the Reconstructing History patterns are very popular! I really like their Italian patterns, so I think I'll give them a shot. I've never adjusted a pattern before, so hopefully I won't have to alter them too much.

                Too bad Period Patterns doesn't accomodate larger sizes. Their Italian Renaissance patterns look lovely!

                Thank you so much again!

                Elisabetta di Portinari

                --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Cilean_69 <no_reply@...> wrote:

                > Hilary,
                >
                > Reconstructing History has some time periods within the Italian City States, but you will need to toile them because the can be 'iffy' on larger people.
                >
                > Margo said she is now working on some patterns but that will take some time so I suggest trying Reconstructing history for now!
                >
                > Then you will need to measure yourself and then work with adding inches.
                >
                > Good luck!
                >
                > Cilean
                >
                > --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "hillaryrose7" <hillaryrose7@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello Everyone!
                > >
                > > I'm trying to find some plus-sized Italian Renaissance gown patterns so I can expand my wardrobe, but I'm not having much luck. The period I am aiming for is the late 1400's and early 1500's (empire waist, tied-on sleeves, etc.). If there are any books, patterns, websites, or companies that you think would be helpful, I would be most grateful if you shared them with me! Thanks!
                > >
                > > Have a great day!
                > >
                > > Elisabetta di Portinari
              • satinedelacourcel
                Message 7 of 11 , May 5, 2011
                  Unless there is someone local who would be willing to help you take measurements and create a custom pattern that suits your needs, Reconstructing history is probably your best bet.

                  The Period Patterns I have used in the past tend to run small and needed lots of tinkering.

                  Good Luck!

                  Cheers!
                  Satine
                • hillaryrose7
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 5, 2011
                    Thanks for letting me know Satine! :) I'm glad you warned me about Period Patterns. They look pretty, but I'd like as little tinkering as possible the first time around. Reconstructing History it is, then!

                    With Thanks,

                    Elisabetta "Betta" di Portinari

                    --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "satinedelacourcel" <seamuslady@...> wrote:

                    > Unless there is someone local who would be willing to help you take measurements and create a custom pattern that suits your needs, Reconstructing history is probably your best bet.
                    >
                    > The Period Patterns I have used in the past tend to run small and needed lots of tinkering.
                    >
                    > Good Luck!
                    >
                    > Cheers!
                    > Satine

                  • satinedelacourcel
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 9, 2011
                      Elisabetta,

                      I wish you the best in your endeavor! I am sure you will do great!

                      Cheers!

                      Satine
                    • Cilean_69
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 10, 2011
                        Elisabetta,

                        Do you have a sewing salon in your group? Or can you connect with others who want to do similar things or help you create a toile, one of the first things I found in the SCA was so much help in getting my ideas into reality!

                        Good Luck

                        Cilean
                      • hillaryrose7
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 10, 2011
                          Satine: Thank you very much! :D

                          Cilean: I'm not sure if we have a sewing group in this barony, but I'll look right now! Thanks so much for the idea! :D

                          Gratefully,

                          Betta