Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] The costume designer for the Borgias bio and some of her work,,,,,

  • Cilean_69
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 29, 2011
      We as costumer's and lover's of this time period and clothing seem to forget, a Costume Designer can not what they want to but must be restricted to what the Director and Suits want the over all feel to be.

      The Tudor CD had beginning sketches that were pretty spot on the dot with history, but they were shot down because that is not what the Suits wanted. They then had to come up with things that were....a bit less, and the same for the Movie Boleyn Sisters and the Movies Elizabeth and others.

      It is not always up to what the Designer wants to show, but how the characters will show through.

      The CD of the Borgias could have steeped herself in History not unlike Ninya and Jane...who study their own English background and bring it forth as close to period perfect as they can....

      But even they have to listen to what their clients want....

      It is a business and very competitive, so if you don't want the work? Due to your aesthetics or ethics? Another Costume Designer will step in and do what they want.

      I personally would love to interview the CD and see what she had in her mind and what ended up in the Show. I think she did some effort since she is a professional to create something to give homage to the past, and I love the choices in fabrics. I would adore to own the fabric covering the 'bridal' bed of Lucretia.

      Also? I do hope that because there is a show that the Big 3 will move to revisit 1490's Italian City States and perhaps? Create something new or bring back some of the past attempts.

      I am not a big lover of the Big 3 so I will look to the ladies and gents who cater to Us the ones who want to have clothing of the past.

      Cilean
    • Cilean_69