Hello

  • brianaetain
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 14, 2002
      Greetings from Briana Etain MacKorkhill,

      I just joined the list last week and wanted to introduce myself. I
      have been in the SCA for almost 20 years and have always had a
      passion for Italian Renaissance clothing. It was so great when I
      found out that there was a discussion group on it.

      Our local Canton is hosting an event in August that is late 16th
      century and a group of us are putting together courtesan garb for it.
      We have just started and it's been a lot of fun so far.

      Once we have worked out all the bugs out, I'm thinking of putting
      together a class to teach at a RUSH session (our university) or at a
      war. We'll see.

      I have enjoyed the conversations so far and look forward to getting
      involved in some of the discussions in the future.

      In service,

      Briana Etain MacKorkhill
      Baroness Forgotten Sea
    • wulfgirl
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 16, 2002
        --- In italianrenaissancecostuming@y..., "brianaetain"
        <brianaetain@y...> wrote:

        > Our local Canton is hosting an event in August that is late 16th
        > century and a group of us are putting together courtesan garb for
        it.

        Have you also tried the Courtesan Group? That is another good list
        for info on Period Courtesans and also late-period Italian garb.

        -Juliana di Rossi
      • empathia50
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 23, 2002
          Hello everyone!

          I'm not an SCA member but I love the Italian Renaissance. The
          dresses are the most romantic that I have ever seen. I have been a
          seamtress since 10 and I sew for fun and sometimes for RenFair garb.
          From the post and files this seems to be a lovely group.

          Unes*
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 23, 2002
            --- empathia50 <Empathia50@...> wrote:

            Hello everyone!

            I'm not an SCA member but I love the Italian
            Renaissance. The dresses are the most romantic that I
            have ever seen. I have been a seamtress since 10 and I
            sew for fun and sometimes for RenFair garb.
            From the post and files this seems to be a lovely
            group.

            Unes*<<<<<

            Hi there, I'm new here myself but I just had to say
            that I agree with you - I read every past message and
            this is a happy friendly bunch of people. :)

            May I just ask why you don't play in the SCA? :)

            Bella

            http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
            - A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!
          • empathia50
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 24, 2002

              > "May I just ask why you don't play in the SCA? :)
              >

              > Bella"

              Actually Bella, I just became aware of the SCA last year while I was
              searching for patterns. I would say that time is the reason that I
              have not applied for membership. I am working to be a recovering
              work-a-holic now though. I would absolutely love to. I know that
              there are various Kingdoms and Guilds, and I am not very good at the
              sword, but I collect them. I fancy myself a bard, as I do sing and
              tell a good story. I could be a gypsy, for I read the cards. I
              could be a moroccan merchant because I know my wares. I could be a
              courtesan, cause I love to stand around-looking good*:-)

              Unes*
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 24, 2002
                --- empathia50 <Empathia50@...> wrote:

                Actually Bella, I just became aware of the SCA last
                year while I was searching for patterns. I would say
                that time is the reason that I have not applied for
                membership.<<<<

                I understand that! But you don't have to pay
                membership to be able to play - do you? Over here
                (Lochac) we don't...but it might be different
                elsewhere...

                though. I would absolutely love to. I know that
                there are various Kingdoms and Guilds, and I am not
                very good at the sword, but I collect them. I fancy
                myself a bard, as I do sing and tell a good story. I
                could be a gypsy, for I read the cards. I could be a
                moroccan merchant because I know my wares. I could be
                a courtesan, cause I love to stand around-looking
                good*:-)<<<<

                You sound perfect for the sca! Mind you, I wish I
                could stand around and look good without all the work
                of sewing and learning to embroider! I *would* be a
                bard (poetry) if I wasn't so stage shy - so for now
                I'll be content to sit in the background and help our
                guild get off the ground in what small way I can (I
                designed the cover of our newletter The Muse and have
                a candidate for our guild device which hasn't been
                chosen yet). Maybe one day I'll learn to play the
                lute...a very courtesanly pastime.... :)

                Bella

                http://messenger.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Messenger
                - A great way to communicate long-distance for FREE!
              • systemgoddess
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 28, 2003
                  Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lydia and I'm about to
                  embark on a recreation of the 1545 Eleanora di Toledo dress. I'm
                  getting the Janet Arnold book for X-mas that I think has the pattern
                  for that gown in it. If not, I'll be cleaning out the dollar table at
                  Wal-Mart when I make my toile *grin* As of now I am searching for
                  just the right buttons for this dress. From the looks of it I will
                  need at least 72 so hopefully I can find some that are inexpensive!

                  Lydia
                • autumn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 28, 2003
                    Try www.cheaptrims.com for buttons, you can buy them in the gross
                    from there.

                    Emelyn

                    As of now I am searching for
                    > just the right buttons for this dress. From the looks of it I will
                    > need at least 72 so hopefully I can find some that are inexpensive!
                    >
                    > Lydia
                  • systemgoddess
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 28, 2003
                      Thanks Autumn! I didn't find any buttons there but they have some
                      gorgeous Venice lace on sale. I have found some that I like and look
                      to be a close match to the ones she has.
                      http://www.pewterreplicas.com/detail.asp?id=111&selcurrencies=USD

                      Lydia
                    • Mary Bader Montgomery
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 28, 2003
                        At 08:05 PM 11/28/03 +0000, you wrote:
                        >Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Lydia and I'm about to
                        >embark on a recreation of the 1545 Eleanora di Toledo dress. I'm
                        >getting the Janet Arnold book for X-mas that I think has the pattern
                        >for that gown in it. If not, I'll be cleaning out the dollar table at
                        >Wal-Mart when I make my toile *grin* As of now I am searching for
                        >just the right buttons for this dress. From the looks of it I will
                        >need at least 72 so hopefully I can find some that are inexpensive!
                        >
                        >Lydia

                        Hie yourself to www.cheeptrims.com for your buttons. Wide selection and if
                        you need a mortload of buttons, they're your place, as they require you to
                        get lots at a time, at astonishingly low prices.

                        Mary Taran