Pockets

  • rizardo dartusio
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2011
      I was wondering if anyone can advise me about when external flapped pockets made
      their appearance on jerkins or doublets. I found one commercial site that
      showed a cloth jerkin that was supposedly patterned after an actual leather one
      from 1574. It had 2 pockets on the skirting. One was functional, one was not.
      Other than this reference, I am getting the impression that the external pocket
      was not used until the mid 1600's during the Baroque period. Thank you.

      Richard

    • Brad Moore
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 2011
        If you can lay hands on a copy of Before the Mast: Life and Death Aboard the
        Mary Rose, edited by Julie Gardiner, there are images of the archaeological find
        the garment is based on, as well as drawings of a feasible reconstruction.

        Brad Moore

        "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a
        merrier world."
        - J.R.R. Tolkien

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2011
          Brad,

          Thanks for putting me onto the connection between sailors and pockets. I found
          references to pockets being used by sailors of the time. In particular an
          article by Ed Foxe states: "One .... feature of ..... (sailors) smocks which can
          be seen in original illustrations, is buttoned pocket flaps. Pockets did not
          enter general everyday fashion until some decades later, personal possessions
          being kept in a pouch or bag. A pouch or bag is obviously impractical for a
          working seaman, and so pockets were a logical invention."

          http://www.piratesinfo.com/cpi_tudor_pirate_clothes_pirate_clothing_tudor_949.asp

          Richard

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2011
            Richard,

            No problem. I don't know a lot about pirates, but the Mary Rose went down
            toward the end of the period which I study and recreate, so I've gathered a few
            works on it. Before the Mast is rather expensive, but is readily available
            through interlibrary loan. Its a pretty good source for men's clothing of the
            mid-sixteenth century. The men on board ship were from a fairly wide range of
            social classes, and the clothing finds and other artifacts reflect that. One of
            the most interesting things it revealed was about cleanliness and grooming among
            sailors. Combs were found frequently in pockets, as well as little grooming
            kits, with blades for trimming nails, ear scoops (for getting the wax out), and
            other grooming aids. Most of what survived was of leather, so lots of jerkins,
            boots, shoes, etc., but fascinating none the less.