This is a ??

  • Jacki/erica
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2011
      http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/ferrara/LorenzoCostaBentivoglio1-1488.jpg

      I really like the middle daughter's clothing. My question is - is it a giornea? To my mind's eye it looks like this is so but because of the short sleeves, it looks much more like the loose gowns of later period. Also the waist line seems to be closer to the normal waist. I have fabric that looks much like the dress and over garment in question and it is picking at me to make this. Many thanks for any help.

      Elspeth Bouchannane
      Oertha West

    • ivinian
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2011
        Oh, I like that dress a lot. It looks almost exactly like the same cut of gown that the lady on the left (the figure's right) is wearing, just open down the front. The sleeves and the fitted bodice make it hard for me to call it a giornea--maybe a cioppa? but even then it's just way more fitted than I'd usually expect and cioppa sleeves are much more dramatic. What I really want is to call it a ropa, but that's not quite right either. It's probably closer to a gamurra than anything else, but the open part and that it has another gown beneath it makes that difficult too. Gamurra would be my guess.

        PS: ZOMG that cute cute lil punkin of a girl to the side with her cute color-blocked dress!

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2011
          Thanks for the input - I had the same trouble - so much for labels. I, too,
          love the littlest girl. And now I have documentation for the dress I made
          my eldest daughter mumble mumble years ago. Wahoo! Gotta love this
          picture.

          Elspeth Bouchannane
          Oertha West

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2011
            Reminds me of this dress
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lorenzo_Lotto_046.jpg
            "A woman holding a drawing of Lucretia".