RE: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Re: Unusual Headdress on a Terracotta Bust

    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2011
      head bands
      http://tinyurl.com/4ltcnlq
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Isabella_d%27Este_palazzo_ducale.jpg
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Isabella_d%27este.jpg
      http://tinyurl.com/4ane7xe
      http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/1510_ca_beatrice_deste_by_b.jpg
      http://tinyurl.com/4lphw5x

      -----Original Message-----
      Hope this works are a couple of examples of portraits of the d'este girls
      Isabella and Beatrice
      Nope did not work. Okay - I googled Isabella and Beatrice d'Este as I
      love their earlier portraits and the stripey dresses. Davinci painted one
      of Isabella and it also has the circlet/ribbon headband. And Bartolomeo
      painted Beata Beatrice with similarstylings. So I will go out on a limb and
      say it is a definite possiblity for the circlet and//or ribbon on the bust.

      Elspeth Bouchannane
      Oertha West
    • Jacki/erica
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
        Otsisto many thanks for having my back on these links. I had forgotten
        about the one as a donor. When my daughters and I first started SCA, my
        middle daughter fell in love with this dress and the stripes (Gotta love
        those stripey dresses) and had to have one to wear for the 4th of July
        parade. I found a stripey sheet at the thrift store and VIOLA! there it
        was. She looked lovely and it was great for a kid to play in. Thanks for
        bringing back that happy memory.

        Elspeth Bouchannane
        Oertha West
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2011
          Any pics?
          I have been temped to make a striped gown (there are several striped gowns
          that I have seen that are lovely) but time and energy have not been with me.
          Currently I am researching and hopefully will make the 1300s da Milano gown,
          most of the focus of the research is the colored "front paneled" gown from
          da Milano's fresco "birth of the Virgin" which is the red and white outfit
          that folks tend to use as proof of different colored gores in the skirt
          (which aren't gores but are dags).