Re: Unusual Headdress on a Terracotta Bust

  • SusanG
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 30, 2011
      This is great! It looks like it was inspired by the Spanish cap (I found pictures in Hispanic Costume 1480 - 1530 by Anderson. The bust also looks like it had some type of circlet of lenza on it.
      Lucrezia

      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "hillaryrose7" <hillaryrose7@...> wrote:

      > Greetings noble citizens of Italy!
      >
      > I found pictures of a beautiful terracotta bust of Isabella d'Este by Giovanni Cristoforo Romano. My source indicates that it was created around 1500. Not only is it a beautiful work of art, but from the back of it can be seen an unusual headdress I have never seen before in Italian Renaissance art. It resembles a knotted veil or scarf attached to the back of the head, with the knotted end left to hang down. I uploaded pictures of this bust to the Photos section, but here is the link so you don't have to fish for it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Italian_Renaissance_Costuming/photos/album/1761066357/pic/list?mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
      >
      > Have you ever seen a headdress like this before? Does anyone know what kind of fabric would have been used? I would love to know more about it!
      >
      > Your humble servant,
      >
      > Elisabetta di Portinari

    • hillaryrose7
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2011
        I took a second look, and you're right! The bust's hair and the headdress DO look indented, as if a circlet had been worn around the head. Perhaps a real ribbon was wrapped around the bust's head to mimic the way such a headdress was actually worn. I don't know why I didn't think of it before, but a circlet makes perfect sense! Thank you so much for noticing it!

        If I were to make this headdress, I think I would still hold it in place with pins or a comb for extra security, but a ribbon circlet would be the perfect finishing touch!

        Thank you so much again!

        Elisabetta di Portinari

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Kristi Cothern <queenkristi@...> wrote:

        > It almost looks like the circlet is missing. Similar to the painting c.1493
        > here:
        >
        > http://theborgias.wetpaint.com/page/Italian+Renaissance+Clothing+and+Fashion
        > I also have one on my computer that I titled the betrothel but I don't know who
        > painted it. Sorry
        >

        > ________________________________

      • hillaryrose7
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2011
          I think you and Kristi have hit the nail right on the head! Only when I looked a second time did I notice an indentation in the bust's hair and the headdress, just as if they were bound by a circlet! It would make a lot of sense, as a lot of "worn-on-the-back-of-the-head-wear" such as snoods, nets, and retas were also worn with circlets.

          I'd love to see pictures of the Spanish cap you mentioned! Does it have the save knotted design? I'd love to know what kind of fabric was used!

          Thanks again!

          Elisabetta di Portinari

          --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "SusanG" <susang45@...> wrote:

          > This is great! It looks like it was inspired by the Spanish cap (I found pictures in Hispanic Costume 1480 - 1530 by Anderson. The bust also looks like it had some type of circlet of lenza on it.
          > Lucrezia
          >
          > --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "hillaryrose7" <hillaryrose7@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Greetings noble citizens of Italy!
          > >
          > > I found pictures of a beautiful terracotta bust of Isabella d'Este by Giovanni Cristoforo Romano. My source indicates that it was created around 1500. Not only is it a beautiful work of art, but from the back of it can be seen an unusual headdress I have never seen before in Italian Renaissance art. It resembles a knotted veil or scarf attached to the back of the head, with the knotted end left to hang down. I uploaded pictures of this bust to the Photos section, but here is the link so you don't have to fish for it: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Italian_Renaissance_Costuming/photos/album/1761066357/pic/list?mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
          > >
          > > Have you ever seen a headdress like this before? Does anyone know what kind of fabric would have been used? I would love to know more about it!
          > >
          > > Your humble servant,
          > >
          > > Elisabetta di Portinari

        • Jacki/erica
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 31, 2011
            Hope this works are a couple of examples of portraits of the d'este girls
            Isabella and Beatrice

            Nope did not work. Okay - I googled Isabella and Beatrice d'Este as I
            love their earlier portraits and the stripey dresses. Davinci painted one
            of Isabella and it also has the circlet/ribbon headband. And Bartolomeo
            painted Beata Beatrice with similarstylings. So I will go out on a limb and
            say it is a definite possiblity for the circlet and//or ribbon on the bust.

            Elspeth Bouchannane
            Oertha West
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 31, 2011
              head bands
              http://tinyurl.com/4ltcnlq
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Isabella_d%27Este_palazzo_ducale.jpg
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Isabella_d%27este.jpg
              http://tinyurl.com/4ane7xe
              http://www.gogmsite.net/_Media/1510_ca_beatrice_deste_by_b.jpg
              http://tinyurl.com/4lphw5x

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 1 6:44 AM
                Otsisto many thanks for having my back on these links. I had forgotten
                about the one as a donor. When my daughters and I first started SCA, my
                middle daughter fell in love with this dress and the stripes (Gotta love
                those stripey dresses) and had to have one to wear for the 4th of July
                parade. I found a stripey sheet at the thrift store and VIOLA! there it
                was. She looked lovely and it was great for a kid to play in. Thanks for
                bringing back that happy memory.

                Elspeth Bouchannane
                Oertha West
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 1 1:21 PM
                  Any pics?
                  I have been temped to make a striped gown (there are several striped gowns
                  that I have seen that are lovely) but time and energy have not been with me.
                  Currently I am researching and hopefully will make the 1300s da Milano gown,
                  most of the focus of the research is the colored "front paneled" gown from
                  da Milano's fresco "birth of the Virgin" which is the red and white outfit
                  that folks tend to use as proof of different colored gores in the skirt
                  (which aren't gores but are dags).