Florentine Heraldry on Wikipedia

  • hillaryrose7
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 21, 2010
      Greetings All!

      I found on Wikipedia Commons a collection of heraldry belonging to families who lived in Florence, Italy. It was very useful to me, and I thought I would share it with others who might also be interested in Heraldry and Florentine culture. Here is the link:
      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Coats_of_arms_of_families_of_Florence

      Most of the pictures are of heraldic plaques that families would attach to buildings to mark their property. Unfortunately many are worn and some colors are not clear, but in general they give you a good idea of the kind of devices used in Renaissance Florence. You'll notice a lot of "horse head"-shaped shields which were very popular in Italian heraldry.

      I can't guarantee that all of the devices are pre-1600's, but I believe most of them are. And as always, treat Wikipedia articles with a grain of salt. I hope you have fun with it!

      Happy Heraldry!

      Elisabetta di Portinari
    • ivinian
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2010
        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "hillaryrose7" <hillaryrose7@...> wrote:
        > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Coats_of_arms_of_families_of_Florence

        Great find! That just got bookmarked, for sure. Thanks for sharing it.

        I ran across a resource by accident that has a huge number of coats of arms. It focuses on the Medici, but includes not only the coats of arms of the guilds and contrade, but also a couple hundred families' arms. Also includes a list of the names, a bibliography, a decent glossary, and some other stuff.

        "A Signature of Power and Patronage: the Medici Coat of Arms, 1299-1492", by Roy Brogan. Peter Lang Publishing, Inc, 1993. ISBN: 0-8204-2213-4.

        Also: http://www.archive.org/details/robbiaheraldry00marq for "Robbia Heraldry," a public-domain book about the uses of heraldry in the Della Robbia school.