[Italian Renaissance Costuming] Re:Fur

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 24, 2010
      I've heard mid 1300's for the start. As for the Southern portion of Italy, I'd say they too probably wore lots of fur, at least in winter. Fireplaces are nice, but just not the same compared to central heat and air. Florence is is about the middle and Eleonora Medici by accounts had tons of fur lined this and that for Winter use and I assume her place was at least as well heated as most.

      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "otsisto" <otsisto@...> wrote:

      > I have not heard anyone say that the Italian Renaissance began in the 1300s.
      > The earliest I've heard is mid 1400s but my vote is late 1400s.
      > Fur use also depended on region. If you were in the northern regions you
      > would probably have more fur use. In the southern regions, not so much.
      >
      > De

    • Ann Catelli
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 24, 2010
        Petrach died in 1374; he was the first writer to use the vernacular, mroe modern Italian, rather than Latin.

        He is usually cited as the beginning of the Renaissance.

        Ann in CT

        --- On Wed, 6/23/10, otsisto <otsisto@...> wrote:

        > I have not heard anyone say that the
        > Italian Renaissance began in the 1300s.
        >
        > De
      • Donata Bonacorsi
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
          In the art world, Giotto's work in the Scrovegni chapel that was
          consecrated in 1305 is considered the beginning of the Italian
          Renaissance. Since the renaissance was such a long period of time in
          Italy, many experts talk of "Early" (roughly 1300's and Giotto and the
          Scrovengi Chapel), "High" (roughly 1400's and Ghilberti's the North
          doors to the Baptistry, Brunnelschi and one-point perspective) and
          "Late" (roughly 1500's da Vinci, Michelangelo and Raphael, Titian--
          although some would argue some of Titian's work pushes into mannerism
          and early modern). You will find that the lines are fuzzy as
          different artists work in different styles throughout the time period).

          Back to fur, a great book to read about the subject is "Dressing
          Renaissance Florence" by Carol Collier Frick (isbn 0-8018-6939-0) It
          goes into sumptuary laws and all sorts of information.

          Donata
        • Brad Moore
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25, 2010
            To further Donata Bonacorsi's discourse, I think it is important to point out that divergent disciplines date the term "renaissance" in different ways.  My undergraduate degree is in art history, and artistically Giotto is indeed considered by most to be the front runner of the Italian Renaissance.  I am now working on my Master's degree in the history of textiles and fashion technology, and historians tend to place the movement earlier, in the late 12th century, basing it on economic and social movements which were occurring in Northern Italy.  The research of Lauro Martines is a fantastic place to start, as I mentioned in an earlier post.  The rise of the middle class, and the paupering of the knightly class came earlier in Italy by as much as 100 to 200 years to other parts of Europe.  The city states of Italy were among the richest in Europe, due to trade, and in the late 1200's urbanism was on the rise, as was humanism, one of
            the major philosophies of the Italian Renaissance.  These factors, among others led to the shift in clothing and conspicuous wealth that we associate with the more visual aspects of the renaissance era.  Art, fashion, and disposable wealth were a shift away from life in the Medieval age.  I hope this digression isn't too far off topic, and if so I apologize, but I feel it is beneficial to understand the circumstances in which shifts in fashion and clothing technology were taking place.
             Brad Moore

            "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
            - J.R.R. Tolkien

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 29, 2010