Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Saccoccia!

  • nightflyer0ne
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
      These certainly look handy. Are they exclusive to Florence, or would a woman of Venice, say, be likely to have one, or something similar?

      Heather

      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Kat" <katdb@...> wrote:

      > Thanks.
      > They are so easy to make and so easy to use. Try it!
      > They work wonderfully for a side-back laced dress. You wear it over the
      > underskirt and under the dress and just reach your hand in to get stuff!
      > They hold a lot too.
      > Tips: Make the slit large enough to fit your hand and don't make it too
      > long. You don't want it to touch the chair/ground, when you sit down.
      > Yeah, that others have discovered one of my passions!
      >
      > I am currently embroidering another saccoccia and making more buttons... one
      > of my other current passions.
      > Kat
      >
      > > OoO, your soccoccia are lovely! Thanks for putting the information
      > > together on a web page.
      > > Lucrezia
      > > These are so pretty they have inspired me to try to make one!
      > > Deb in Colorado
      >
      > >> Hey, a convert to saccoccia... yeah!
      > >> I love them and am currently embroidering another one!
      > >> http://katerina.
      > > <http://katerina.purplefiles.net/FlorenceFiles/FLAccessoriesSOCCACCIA.html>
      > > purplefiles.net/FlorenceFiles/FLAccessoriesSOCCACCIA.html
      > >> Kat
      > >> La Signora Onorata Katerina da Brescia
      > >> Innilgard, Lochac
      > >> The Florence Files http://gatewaytoflo
      > > <http://gatewaytoflorence.purplefiles.net> rence.purplefiles.net
      > >>
      > >> "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might
      > > as
      > >> well dance!"

    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        I've seen them on paintings from all over Europe although I don't know if the differences were regional, or simply personal. Kat's are lovely. Mine are undecorated but functional, although her's are making me think of doing a bit of embroidery. Sort of like lace undies. No one else may see them, but you know their there. LOL, of course not being able to see them may be a bonus as I'm rusty on embroidery and crewel work.

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "nightflyer0ne" <rugrat0ne@...> wrote:

        > These certainly look handy. Are they exclusive to Florence, or would a woman of Venice, say, be likely to have one, or something similar?
        >
        > Heather
        >
        > --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Kat" <katdb@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > > They are so easy to make and so easy to use. Try it!
        > > They work wonderfully for a side-back laced dress. You wear it over the
        > > underskirt and under the dress and just reach your hand in to get stuff!
        > > They hold a lot too.
        > > Tips: Make the slit large enough to fit your hand and don't make it too
        > > long. You don't want it to touch the chair/ground, when you sit down.
        > > Yeah, that others have discovered one of my passions!
        > >
        > > I am currently embroidering another saccoccia and making more buttons... one
        > > of my other current passions.
        > > Kat
        > >
        > > > OoO, your soccoccia are lovely! Thanks for putting the information
        > > > together on a web page.
        > > > Lucrezia
        > > > These are so pretty they have inspired me to try to make one!
        > > > Deb in Colorado

        > > > <http://katerina.purplefiles.net/FlorenceFiles/FLAccessoriesSOCCACCIA.html>
        > > > purplefiles.net/FlorenceFiles/FLAccessoriesSOCCACCIA.html
        > > > <http://gatewaytoflorence.purplefiles.net> rence.purplefiles.net

        > > > as

      • bianca_di_alessandro
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
          Nice! I might have to marshall my limited sewing skills and try one.

          Are they sewn closed at the top? It looks like it in the pictures, but I can't tell for sure.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
            I just sewed a strip of double fold bias over the cut edge of the top. I used the same bias tape to trim around the hand opening on the front. I sewed the whole strip closed and it sealed the cut top edge and made for a nice sturdy tying ribbon. The only warning I can make is to make sure your hand fits inside BEFORE sewing on bias tape, but not so big stuff falls out. LOL, but it not, they make for a nice gift to a friend with smaller hands.