RE: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Saccoccia!

  • deb
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2010
      I have gotten mine done, but I am wondering what kind of belt (?) to wear
      it on

      Deb in Colorado

      Thanks.
      They are so easy to make and so easy to use. Try it!
      They work wonderfully for a side-back laced dress. You wear it over the
      underskirt and under the dress and just reach your hand in to get stuff!
      They hold a lot too.
      Tips: Make the slit large enough to fit your hand and don't make it too
      long. You don't want it to touch the chair/ground, when you sit down.
      Yeah, that others have discovered one of my passions!

      I am currently embroidering another saccoccia and making more buttons... one

      of my other current passions.
      Kat

      > These are so pretty they have inspired me to try to make one!
      > Deb in Colorado

    • nightflyer0ne
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
        These certainly look handy. Are they exclusive to Florence, or would a woman of Venice, say, be likely to have one, or something similar?

        Heather

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Kat" <katdb@...> wrote:

        > Thanks.
        > They are so easy to make and so easy to use. Try it!
        > They work wonderfully for a side-back laced dress. You wear it over the
        > underskirt and under the dress and just reach your hand in to get stuff!
        > They hold a lot too.
        > Tips: Make the slit large enough to fit your hand and don't make it too
        > long. You don't want it to touch the chair/ground, when you sit down.
        > Yeah, that others have discovered one of my passions!
        >
        > I am currently embroidering another saccoccia and making more buttons... one
        > of my other current passions.
        > Kat
        >
        > > OoO, your soccoccia are lovely! Thanks for putting the information
        > > together on a web page.
        > > Lucrezia
        > > These are so pretty they have inspired me to try to make one!
        > > Deb in Colorado
        >
        > >> Hey, a convert to saccoccia... yeah!
        > >> I love them and am currently embroidering another one!
        > >> http://katerina.
        > > <http://katerina.purplefiles.net/FlorenceFiles/FLAccessoriesSOCCACCIA.html>
        > > purplefiles.net/FlorenceFiles/FLAccessoriesSOCCACCIA.html
        > >> Kat
        > >> La Signora Onorata Katerina da Brescia
        > >> Innilgard, Lochac
        > >> The Florence Files http://gatewaytoflo
        > > <http://gatewaytoflorence.purplefiles.net> rence.purplefiles.net
        > >>
        > >> "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might
        > > as
        > >> well dance!"

      • Brandy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2010
          I've seen them on paintings from all over Europe although I don't know if the differences were regional, or simply personal. Kat's are lovely. Mine are undecorated but functional, although her's are making me think of doing a bit of embroidery. Sort of like lace undies. No one else may see them, but you know their there. LOL, of course not being able to see them may be a bonus as I'm rusty on embroidery and crewel work.

          --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "nightflyer0ne" <rugrat0ne@...> wrote:

          > These certainly look handy. Are they exclusive to Florence, or would a woman of Venice, say, be likely to have one, or something similar?
          >
          > Heather
          >
          > --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Kat" <katdb@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > > They are so easy to make and so easy to use. Try it!
          > > They work wonderfully for a side-back laced dress. You wear it over the
          > > underskirt and under the dress and just reach your hand in to get stuff!
          > > They hold a lot too.
          > > Tips: Make the slit large enough to fit your hand and don't make it too
          > > long. You don't want it to touch the chair/ground, when you sit down.
          > > Yeah, that others have discovered one of my passions!
          > >
          > > I am currently embroidering another saccoccia and making more buttons... one
          > > of my other current passions.
          > > Kat
          > >
          > > > OoO, your soccoccia are lovely! Thanks for putting the information
          > > > together on a web page.
          > > > Lucrezia
          > > > These are so pretty they have inspired me to try to make one!
          > > > Deb in Colorado

          > > > <http://katerina.purplefiles.net/FlorenceFiles/FLAccessoriesSOCCACCIA.html>
          > > > purplefiles.net/FlorenceFiles/FLAccessoriesSOCCACCIA.html
          > > > <http://gatewaytoflorence.purplefiles.net> rence.purplefiles.net

          > > > as

        • bianca_di_alessandro
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
            Nice! I might have to marshall my limited sewing skills and try one.

            Are they sewn closed at the top? It looks like it in the pictures, but I can't tell for sure.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3, 2010
              I just sewed a strip of double fold bias over the cut edge of the top. I used the same bias tape to trim around the hand opening on the front. I sewed the whole strip closed and it sealed the cut top edge and made for a nice sturdy tying ribbon. The only warning I can make is to make sure your hand fits inside BEFORE sewing on bias tape, but not so big stuff falls out. LOL, but it not, they make for a nice gift to a friend with smaller hands.