Gamurra closure

  • authenticity77
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2010
      wow...i'm really enjoying reading everyone's opinions on the subject of aprons. very interesting. i'm also enjoying being forced to look at paintings closer that i usually do.
      now the last questions i can think of that i will need for making my mock-up is about where the gamurra should close. i know there is a ton of paintings showing it in the front, but i'd it to not be visible under the giornea. are side laces period? if so, one side or both? or is back lacing a better bet? and how should i lace it? (spiral, ladder, crossing?) i'm pretty sure i've seen all 3.
      and i just thought of another question...i'm looking for paintings that clearly show the skirts pleated and paintings that show them gathered to the bodice. i'll be checking out realms shortly, but if anything jumps to mind, do send it my way.
      thanks again...

      --rebecca
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2010
        Openings: front, side, side back, and back. Lacing: spiral works best for
        the latter three openings. Have seen ladder in one back lacing but the criss
        cross I have only seen it for the front. As most paintings that show a side
        or sideback lacing, you only see one side, so it is assumed that it is both
        sides. There is said to be on pic. that shows a front and side opening,
        possibly on the Festive Attyre site.

[...]

      • Isabella D'Angelo
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2010
          Side lacing is very period:
          http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor16.html

          And there is some great evidence for back lacing (granted, it's German, but we know Italy and Germany traded) in a mauscript from about 1480. I know I have the picture but I can't get to the page at work.

          Spiral and ladder are really the two lacing styles I have seen in period. There is some crossing, but not nearly as much as spiral or ladder.

          -Isabella