Looking for Isabella d'Este

  • Angela B
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 16, 2010
      I don't know if anyone else has had an interest, but I'm working on something and going about it backwards from the usual. I found her interesting and was wanting to explore more- including making a dress.

      The problem that I am having is that I'm fairly new to research (especially garb/people) and don't know where to start other than a cursory web search for images.

      So, I've kept coming up with the same images over and over again

      Here are most, if not all I've come across listed on Wiki Commons.

      http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Isabella_d%27Este

      The two images I am most interested in are the ones that say they may not be her.

      "Bella" and "formerly known as Isabella d'Este" Any thoughts?

      The detail/trimming on the bosom looks identical/similar to the other paintings with such, including the "formerly known" one.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated. Once I figure out what I'm doing, I'll probably have questions on how to do it!

      Thanks in advance.

      Lady Diamante de Colombrino
    • deb
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 16, 2010
        I have a catalog that identifies the person in the Romano's portrait (fourth from the left, top row) as Margherita Paleologa who's mother-in-law was Isabella d'Este. They said in the catalog that the dress had been Isabella's but that she gave it to Margherita. This dress has been re-created.

        *the catalog is "Splendors of the Renaissance, Princely Attire in Italy" and it was from an exhibit in New York City in which they recreated certain clothes from famous portraits*

        Deb in Colorado

      • JolieH2000@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 16, 2010
          I have an question...how does one find or purchase a catalog like that??

          Thank you,

          Jolie'

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 16, 2010
            2 years ago I went to New York to see Antea by Parmigianino. While I was there I ran across a poster (?) maybe, of this event.

            I will give you the information from the front of the catalog:

            Splendors of the Renaissance: Princely Attire in Italy

            Reconstructions of Historic Costumes
            from King Studio, Italy
            by Fausto Fornasari

            Catalogue
            by Janet Cox-Rearick

            Art Gallery of the Graduate Center
            The City University of New York
            365 Fifth Avenue
            New York City

            March 10-April 24, 2004

            I called the University and asked for a catalog. I think I also contacted either Antonio Bandini at the Italian Consul General in New York or Claudio Angelini who is the Director of the Italian Cultural Institute in New York.

            Deb in Colorado

          • JolieH2000@AOL.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 16, 2010
              Thank you so much!

            • marinadisalina@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 17, 2010
                I went to that exhibit in Wash DC and they had run out of catalogs
                but finally gave me a color copy of it, which as soon as I unearth it would happily send.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 17, 2010
                  REALLY...oh my, that would be so wonderful! Thank you so much! I need to raise the level of my sewing. I can do simple Italian ish that works just fine for Pennsic but now, I want to step it up. I own one of Countess Albra's old gown,,it is new to me, and that is what I will be wearing to a ball that I am attending in the East. You ROCK and have made my morning!

                  -Jolie'

                • cmerritt923@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 18, 2010
                    The display of the costumes was shown in the Italian Embassy in Washington DC, and I got the catalog there. My laurel and I took hundreds of photos of the display. They allowed us to get up close and personal with these gowns. So if you have a particular gown you'd like to see more of, let me know. I've uploaded some of them (it takes a looonnnggg time for these pictures to upload). But if folks are interested, I'll add more: http://italianrenn.shutterfly.com/26.

                    Cheryl

                  • Alessandra
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 18, 2010
                      The link below doesn't work. Here is the corrected link. Sorry for the confusion!

                      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, cmerritt923@... wrote:

                      > The display of the costumes was shown in the Italian Embassy in Washington DC, and I got the catalog there. My laurel and I took hundreds of photos of the display. They allowed us to get up close and personal with these gowns. So if you have a particular gown you'd like to see more of, let me know. I've uploaded some of them (it takes a looonnnggg time for these pictures to upload). But if folks are interested, I'll add more: http://italianrenn.shutterfly.com/26.
                      >
                      > Cheryl

                    • James Moore
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 18, 2010
                        I am new to the documentation portion of costuming.  Would these pictures be considered adequate documentation for A&S?  Micola.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 18, 2010
                          The folks that made them tried to get them to look like the art work they took them from. I took photos of the placards and the art work, and that will work.

                          But I didn't get the sense that the folks that made them tried to follow period techniques.

                          I think they got the look of the fabrics close, and the details.

                          So I would use these to help figure out how to make something work, but back it up with the art-work, and use known period sewing techniques.

                          Cheryl

                          --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, James Moore <suzipdm@...> wrote:

                          > I am new to the documentation portion of costuming.  Would these pictures be considered adequate documentation for A&S?  Micola.

                        • Alexandria Doyle
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 18, 2010
                            Using them would be like using any other's costumer's recreation as
                            documentation, so it wouldn't be looked upon favorable.

                            To say that you didn't know how "X" went together and there are no
                            extant garments of this type or other samples of detail "X", but "B"
                            did it this way and the results were like the painting, "so I did it
                            that way too", I think would be acceptable.

                            alex

                            On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:54 AM, James Moore <suzipdm@...> wrote:
                            > I am new to the documentation portion of costuming.  Would these pictures be considered adequate documentation for A&S?  Micola.

                            So much to do and so little attention span to get it done with…
                          • Tamara Bedic
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 18, 2010
                              Dear Ladies!

                              After tracking this book down since October, I finally got my hands on Luca Landucci's late 15th/ early 16th century diary (translated from Italian).  The book was originally printed in 1927 and then again in 1969 by Arno Press.  It's now out of print.  I currently have the only copy in New York City that you can take away (the other two are in the Schwarzman Building-- i.e. the research library with the lions)..  The call number is: 945.5106 L

                              The years covered include the rise and fall of the Medici, Savanorola, the French invasion....  (1450 to 1516)

                              As I read, I can look out for any particular subject matter you like-- song and music; the Catasto tax; food and its preparation; street theater; criminal punishment; coinage and money; games...  Just let me know and include your snail mail addy.  E.g. for those interested in Florentine clothing, I took special notice of the long list of dresses that came as a dowry with Luca's bride.

                              More on Luca here: http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Luca_Landucci

                              YIS,

                              Tamara

                            • beverlyazizi
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 29, 2010
                                --Tamara,

                                Are you going to share any of that dowry info with us lesser connected drooling costumers?

                                Betsasbea

                                > More on Luca here: http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Luca_Landucci
                                >
                                > YIS,
                                >
                                > Tamara

                              • Tamara Bedic
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 30, 2010
                                  Do you mean...  on this Yahoo! group?

                                  If you e-mail me your snail mail addy, Beverly, I will forward hard copies of the pages with fabric, cloth, clothing information.

                                  Be glad to do it for all on this list.