men's clothing from Venice circa 1500

  • Margaret Wolseley
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2009
      Hello,

      Is anyone out there trying to recreate men's clothing from Venice
      circa 1500? I am working primarily from the paintings of Carpaccio,
      using extant Elizabethan garments as the base pattern (because they
      are what I know about) and supplementing some details from Durer
      paintings. But if anyone else has tried this before, I'd love to swap
      ideas. Like...how did you make the super-poofy shirt? Where did you
      put the seam lines on the zupon? What pattern did you use for hosen?
      How did you make the hat?

      I have some plans about how to do this, but I'd love to run them past
      some other interested folks, see what they are seeing in the artwork,
      or what other useful references they've found.

      thanks!

      Margaret Wolseley
    • tompahdea
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2010
        Margaret, et al--

        Did you get much reply from your posting. Not necessarily devloping a costume of Venice 1500 but looking at all the possibilities that I come across before getting seriously into the creation phase. Thank you for any suggestions you might be able to share especially internet sources or paintings/frescoes.

        Tom Padilla