Re: Balzo

  • borderlands15213
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 25, 2009
      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Alexandria Doyle <garbaholic@...> wrote:

      > I'm refering to that headress that is a lot like a padded roll, for
      > mid -16th century FLoretine wear.
      >
      > I'm at work and unable to do the search for myself, so I thought I'd
      > ask, does anyone know off hand if there is a particular color that
      > these were - did they match the gowns, basic black?
      >
      > I've seen someone make one with a woven under structure that had
      > gathered silk tacked onto it. I wanted something a little smaller,
      > and something I'll only wear rarely, so I was thinking of going with a
      > padded roll. Any suggestions or pitfalls I should be aware of?
      >
      > thanks
      > Alex
      >
      > --
      > So much to do and so little attention span to get it done with�

      Actually the "balzo" comes with at least three names and those denote different headdresses:
      http://home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/balzo-new.htm

      Have a good look through the "Wardrobe" section of Donna Bella Lucia da Verona's "Realm of Venus" website; the 1520's and 1530's, you'll see balzos which seem to be toned to the gown with which they're worn, and you'll see balzos which obviously do not match those gowns.

      So, I'd guess (and I admit I'm just guessing, here) that since the concept of having a LOT of gowns and shoes and hats and so forth to match each one is a fairly modern concept, a woman may have had A balzo which matched A gown---but would be worn with any other gowns she did have, whether it matched or not. Most people in the 15th and 16th centuries didn't have loads of outfits from which to choose, and those they did have had to last.
      Clothing wasn't discarded because it was no longer fashionable: it got discarded because it was worn out or handed down because it had been outgrown. I mention this only to support my statement, above. New clothing was a treat, something really special.
      So the idea of having a wardrobe of entire, self-contained outfits (gamurra, gown, balzo, shoes, fan, pomander, hose, partlet,) meaning that if you had ten outfits, you'd have ten separate partlets, was not only alien, but fantastical---wild dreaming. To have everything, or even the outer, visible things, all matchy-matchy, was something only the very well-to-do could afford.

      HTH,
      Yseult the Gentle
    • Deborah Lane
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2009
        Balzo... here is my little offering on the subject
        http://www.geocities.com/curvess2000/my_balzos.htm AT least until my web
        site is taken down.

        Cheers

        Deb
        (SCAKA Mistress Oonagh - for mid to late C16 Venetian patrician women's
        dress .... yada yada)

        > I'm refering to that headress that is a lot like a padded roll, for
        > mid -16th century FLoretine wear.
        >
        > I'm at work and unable to do the search for myself, so I thought I'd
        > ask, does anyone know off hand if there is a particular color that
        > these were - did they match the gowns, basic black?
        >
        > I've seen someone make one with a woven under structure that had
        > gathered silk tacked onto it. I wanted something a little smaller,
        > and something I'll only wear rarely, so I was thinking of going with a
        > padded roll. Any suggestions or pitfalls I should be aware of?
        >
        > thanks
        > Alex

        .

      • oonaghsown
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 28, 2009
          --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213" <borderlands15213@...> wrote:

          > --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Alexandria Doyle <garbaholic@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm refering to that headress that is a lot like a padded roll, for
          > > mid -16th century FLoretine wear.
          > >
          > > I'm at work and unable to do the search for myself, so I thought I'd
          > > ask, does anyone know off hand if there is a particular color that
          > > these were - did they match the gowns, basic black?
          > >
          > > I've seen someone make one with a woven under structure that had
          > > gathered silk tacked onto it. I wanted something a little smaller,
          > > and something I'll only wear rarely, so I was thinking of going with a
          > > padded roll. Any suggestions or pitfalls I should be aware of?
          > >
          > > thanks
          > > Alex
          > >
          > > --
          > > So much to do and so little attention span to get it done with�

          http://www.geocities.com/curvess2000/my_balzos.htm

          This is my offering on the topic. Basic Blace is a good thing and goes with mych of your dress decissions for the time. Having said that you can use a multitude of fabrics for your balzo.

          I have not made any updates on this or anything else on my site for some time. Due in part to family and university commitments. Also in part due to geocities announcement that they will no longer be hosting for free. So until I have time to

          a. find a new web host
          b. time to restructure
          c. time for all my updates

          my site will cease to be as of October this year. I can't afford to pay for space and the site is run over sever accounts in order to share with you all my work and resaerch.

          Right, head back into the books now.

          Cheers

          Deb
          (Oonagh)
          [Pagar le Pompe]

          Oonaghs Own - Venetian Patrician Womens Dress Laurel [from the skin
          out] and Accessories of the mid to late sixteenth century
          http://www.geocities.com/oonaghsown

          until it goes off line later in October due to geocities no longer offering free web hosting.
        • BeckyR
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
            I am new to this group and I am interested in making a complete Italian garb set including a balzo. I have an idea how to make one. what are some sources I can use besides just a portrait of someone wearing one?
          • Paige
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
              I made one last year for IRCC see it at Paige's into the Past on facebook, it might help you get some ideas on creating your own.
              Paige

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 30, 2013
                I made one last year for IRCC, see it at Paige's into the Past on facebook, there is an album. It might give you some ideas on how to create your own.
                Paige

                --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "BeckyR" wrote:

                > I am new to this group and I am interested in making a complete Italian garb set including a balzo. I have an idea how to make one. what are some sources I can use besides just a portrait of someone wearing one?

              • Becky
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2013
                  Looked for it and didn't see it on Facebook. Friend me so I can find it.

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jan 30, 2013, at 9:21 PM, "Paige" <paige1@...> wrote:

                  > I made one last year for IRCC, see it at Paige's into the Past on facebook, there is an album. It might give you some ideas on how to create your own.
                  > Paige
                  >
                  > --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "BeckyR" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I am new to this group and I am interested in making a complete Italian garb set including a balzo. I have an idea how to make one. what are some sources I can use besides just a portrait of someone wearing one?

                • Deb Lane
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2013
                    there is mine that might inspire you

                    http://webspace.webring.com/people/lo/oonaghsown/curves/my_balzos.htm

                    Cheers

                    Deb

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 6 4:58 AM
                        I prefer English Elizabethan/Tudor but want ti make an Italian Renaissance/Venetian period. I have a nobility Elizabethan set and a merchant's wife upper middle class set already. I made a very wonderful blackwork chemise of light weight linen with Tudor rises on the sleeves. I made a velvet ladies' hat with pleated sides but don't know what else to wear with my sets. I have been shedding hair a lot over the past few years and keeping it to make a woven hair/braid to wear on my thinning hairline. Not as fancy but practical.
                        I have lost weight and need to take them in. I am working on loosing some more before that task. I plan on weaving trim for my next set and one for my daughter. I will wait to do those jobs after we move in June.
                        I drew the cover for Margo Anderson's Tudor pattern so I love to design what to make as well as actual garments. I have a large library of images from the internet and a book of what I would like to make.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 7 3:58 AM
                          For Italian, specifically Venice, The Realm of Venus is the site to go to.
                          http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/

                          (Oonagh's site is the second I recommend.)

                          "wardrobe" on RoV is where you will find portraits of several time periods.

                          It sounds as if you are wanting around 1540 and onward
                          http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/artgallery3.htm
                          (but if you want earlier then click on wardrobe and then select the period you what.).

                          Some of the later styles, if you have Margo's Elizabethan noble woman's pattern you can adapt it. I have heard at least one woman adapting it to the very popular "V" front Venetian gown. I think that it is popular because just about any figure looks good in it. :)
                          Hope this helps.
                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 7 4:57 AM
                            I do have her set of lady's wardrobe and the Tudor set. I am placing a pre-order for her upcoming Italian sets. I can adapt the pattern to fit what I want but right now just researching.
                            I definitely love the Realm if Venus site. I love a red one with cut lacy sleeves Venetian gown. Lots of photos saved from there!
                            My daughter loved the Princess Elizabeth portrait. I made her a complete set to wear to Ren Faire outside of Harrisburg, PA but it rained the weekend she was to be Honorary Princess fin the weekend. Still have the velvet oversleeves. I found 8m of the exact fabric in the portrait on ebay! Cut the fabric only enough for the forepart and sleeves. I store it in archival paper in its own box like a treasure. Ready to use one day.
                            Right now I am in packing mode so I am sorting and inventorying what I have more than crafting. I still hope to make new things one day soon.

                            Sent from my iPhone