Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] pillbox hat questions

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 23, 2009
      Quoting Dianne Russell <cat_herder@...>:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm in need of some help with the little pillbox hats.
      >
      > How does one make one? Does anyone have any pictures of period ones
      > to see how they are decorated? Or photos of your current ones? I
      > don't really care what time period. The Renaissance isn't my period
      > but I'm going to a Italian Ren. event in 2 weeks and just want to
      > have something to wear.
      >
      > I can't find any pillbox frames in our city. I have been to craft,
      > fabric, & wedding shops, etc with no luck.

      I bought one at JoAnne's *many* years ago, but I can't find one now
      either. I found some on the web, but I've not purchased one of those
      (yet).

      jerusha
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
      Division of Science and Math
    • diane19128
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 24, 2009
        and of course, the longer link broke. Here's a shorter:

        http://tinyurl.com/n94bw4

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "diane19128" <diane19128@...> wrote:

        > Here's the link to one photo (from a movie) in my photo file here on IRC:

        > And here is a link to an online millinery supply house, from which I have purchased buckram in the past:
        >
        > http://www.judithm.com/
        >
        > They have buckram hat kits, supplying everything you need to make a hat from scratch. I checked for buckram pillbox blanks, but did not find any.
        >
        > Hope this helps.
        >
        > Diane
        >
        > --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Dianne Russell <cat_herder@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I'm in need of some help with the little pillbox hats.
        > >
        > > How does one make one? Does anyone have any pictures of period ones to see how they are decorated? Or photos of your current ones? I don't really care what time period. The Renaissance isn't my period but I'm going to a Italian Ren. event in 2 weeks and just want to have something to wear.
        > >
        > > I can't find any pillbox frames in our city. I have been to craft, fabric, & wedding shops, etc with no luck.
        > >
        > > Thank you most kindly.
        > > Dianne

      • Brandy
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 25, 2009
          I made my own frame because I could not find one. I took my measuring tape and measured LIGHTLY around where I wanted my hat to fit. Then I got plastic mesh (you can use buckram but make sure it does not get wet) and cut a rectangle three inches or so by the length around my head plus an inch. I then took the short ends and overlapping an inch sewed them together with strong thread ( I used dental floss). Put this on your head to make sure it's not too snug remembering that it's going to be lined eventually and if its a hair too loose that's an easy fix with a bit of felt in the end. I then laid this on top of more plastic mesh and stretched it just a hair to make an oval (although I've also just let it be a circle as well) and marked the edge with marker. I cut it out and used more floss to connect the top to the sides. I then put the frame on again and looked in a mirror. Now is when you can see if you want a shorter hat and trim accordingly. Oh, and I also copied my cut out mesh onto paper for future pattern. I'm trying to remember where I stored my hats.... by the way, one of them even made it through the gentle cycle on the washer, lol. Not on purpose, but got mixed in with it's matching dress. Not something I'd reccomend however. Mine was double lined. I had a well sewn in silk layer, then a very lightly basted in linen one that when it started getting bad looking I took out and washed then rebasted in. (I have very oily hair). Does this all make sense? I'm working on my first cup of coffee....