Need opinions, please!

  • Annikki Raiford
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2009
      I've sat on this project for a year at this point. I just cannot
      decide what I want to do with the cuffs, but I really should finish
      it! So I'd love to hear some suggestions.

      I did some embroidery:
      http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/annikki73/?action=view¤t=P1010354.jpg

      I did enough of it to make a camicia neckline!
      http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/annikki73/?action=view¤t=P1010353.jpg

      Of course, I based the embroidery a bit off of this on Realm of Venus:
      http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/workbox/extcam11.htm

      I'd like to do embroidery around the cuffs, but loose cuffs, which I
      see frequently unembroidered in portraiture (and they look kickin'
      with Turkish coats)? Or gathered cuffs more similar to the other
      extant camicie?

      Whatcha think?

      Adele
    • jubileel_insaneone
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2009
        First, the embroidery is simply lovely!

        Second, gathered. I think most of the turkish chemises have a v-neckline but I'm not sure. They typically don't seem to be gathered either.

        -Isabella

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Annikki Raiford <annikki1973@...> wrote:

        > I've sat on this project for a year at this point. I just cannot
        > decide what I want to do with the cuffs, but I really should finish
        > it! So I'd love to hear some suggestions.
        >
        > I did some embroidery:
        > http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/annikki73/?action=view¤t=P1010354.jpg
        >
        > I did enough of it to make a camicia neckline!
        > http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b294/annikki73/?action=view¤t=P1010353.jpg
        >
        > Of course, I based the embroidery a bit off of this on Realm of Venus:
        > http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/workbox/extcam11.htm
        >
        > I'd like to do embroidery around the cuffs, but loose cuffs, which I
        > see frequently unembroidered in portraiture (and they look kickin'
        > with Turkish coats)? Or gathered cuffs more similar to the other
        > extant camicie?
        >
        > Whatcha think?
        >
        > Adele

      • rayne_333
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 12, 2009
          I agree, you've done a wonderful job with the embroidery along the neckline. But, my personal prefrence has always been loose. But, my clothes are usually from 1490-1520(1530). You could always do a mixture of two. You could gather it and embroider the gather or edges. As well you could embroider the edges if you leave it loose. I'm afraid I don't know a good deal about Turkish design. So, I'm not sure if this was helpful at all. I wish you the best of luck and thank you for sharing with us.
        • ghadahfalaknoor
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2009
            Hi Adele.

            I must say very stunning Embroidery!!!

            It can be hard to tell all the clothing layers worn in Ottoman Miniatures, however the "V" Neckline is often, an Ottoman Undercoat, they generally wore two. In the few Miniatures where it is clear to see, The Ottoman Gomlek/Kamis have a Round Neckline Some are done with a rounded neckline with a "button" at the neck and a slit to the navel, (Functional for Breastfeeding purposes) Out of a very Lightweight almost sheer Cotton.

            This garment is not gathered at the neckline or at the wrists.

            I have not seen any pictorial suggestion, or written account indicating these garments were embroidered for Ottoman gomlek's.

            There is a 14th C Unfinished Persian Pirihan (Kamis) that is embroidered. and there was trade with Persia as well as The Ottoman Empire so an argument could "possibly" be made there, though weak it may be.

            http://medieval.webcon.net.au/extant_perisan_kamis_14thc.html

            http://www.geocities.com/anahita_whitehorse/kamiz.html

            Are you referring to doing an Italian lady wearing a Ottoman Coat, as there are several portraits floating about. I think Oonagh Has one/some on her site, from her black silk Ottoman coat she did,a dn her wedding Ottoman coat also very stunning!

            Another site:

            http://www.freewebs.com/isabelladangelo/turkishcoat.htm

            I agree your Chemise would look lovely under a Turkish coat. Personally I would finish the Chemise as an Italian one, Your embroidery is just to pretty not to make it versatile for some of your other lovely Italian gowns.

            My Two Dinars

            Looking forward top seeing what you put together

            Cheers
            Your Humble servant

            Ghadah Falak Noor bint Ssfi 'Abdu'llah
            Formerly Satine de la Courcel