Name problems

  • Mary Connelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2003
      Martin has chosen his first name but the lastname/surname is the trouble.
      When Martin visited Italy years ago when in port with the Navy, he said that
      he truly enjoyed both Rome and Verona. The things he has told me about
      Verona are enough to have me really itching to hop a plane! If I only had
      the money!!!

      He told me so much about Rome and the tiny little corners of the most
      interesting ruins that are not widely travelled. I am so planning a trip to
      Italy!! It may take me 10 years, but I am going to get there.

      Anyway, we are struggling with a surname/byname. If he would be from Rome
      or from Verona, how would this be written? Neither of us speaks any
      Italian. Well, I do, but can only count to 5, say good morning, bye and
      thank you.

      The first name that Martin has chosen is Marco. I liked Iacopo, but since
      the name isn't mine...
      Martin looks sort of like a Marco, to me, too. I think the name will fit
      him very well.

      Any and all help/ideas for a surname would be so greatly appreciated.
    • Christiane Truelove
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2003
        Cara signora,

        Most surnames during period were very simple. Often it
        could be the first name of the father (di Paolo, for
        instance), or the profession of the person. It could,
        since he chose Verona as his home, be "da Verona."

        I went looking for Italian period names online, and
        found among other things, the Catasto of Florence, a
        tax roll that lists male and female first and last
        names. That's where I chose my name from, I picked
        ones that appealed to me. Since my persona is
        Florentine, it made sense to pick a name from the
        Catasto (so long as it wasn't de Medici <g>).

        There are several article about the history of Italian
        names online, and I am sure they could be of help to
        them.

        And he is right about Verona. It's beautiful. We were
        there on an Easter Sunday, and everyone in the town
        was parading around the piazza where the Arena is. I
        remember being with my teacher and a few other
        students in a quiet side street after we had gotten
        some gelato, among the old houses, and just about
        every balcony had a singing canary in a cage. Like I
        said before, I want to go back!

        Gianotta

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/