Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Early 15th c. Venetian?

  • Susan Farmer
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
      Quoting Jessica Maxson <jessica@...>:

      > Salve tutti!
      >
      > I have a friend with a newfound interest in things Venetian. She is looking
      > for information on early 15th century costume and hasn't been able to find
      > much before Carpaccio. Any hints as to where she could look, either online
      > or in print sources?

      I've got this list which is from the Handbook of Italian Renaissance Painting

      http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Garb/gallwitz_ItalianPainters.html

      It's divided up by time-period and Major Regions -- it gives the
      primary artists for the time and region in question

      jerusha
      -----
      Susan Farmer
      sfarmer@...
      Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
      Division of Science and Math
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2009
        Also, you can look here
        http://www.artcyclopedia.com/history/early-renaissance.html

        Your friend needs to consider the history of Venice and of painting in
        Venice, some of which may be obtained by Googling "painting 1400s Venice"
        without the quotation marks.

        Another source for artwork prior to Carpaccio would be the Web Gallery of
        Art:
        www.wga.hu

        Click "Enter Here".
        Then go to the top of the screen and select "Search," third option from the
        left.
        From the timeline, select "1401-1450" and from School select "Italy" which
        is at this point in history a geographic region and not a nation.
        "Form" and "Type" may be left at their default settings of "Any."
        Click on Search.

        Begin sifting through the results. This will require some double-checking
        to determine that the subject of the painting is Venetian or at least
        located in one of the provincial regions or city-states under Venice's
        dominion (Milan was the other great power in the north of the Italian
        peninsula around the middle of the 1400s.)

        Yseult the Gentle
      • Susan Farmer
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
          Sorry if this (eventually) shows up twice. Apparently this group is one that I can't email to right now. Could the moderators check and see if it's caught in the Spam Filter? Thanks!

          Quoting Jessica Maxson <jessica@...>:

          >Salve tutti!
          >
          >I have a friend with a newfound interest in things Venetian. She is looking
          >for information on early 15th century costume and hasn't been able to find
          >much before Carpaccio. Any hints as to where she could look, either online
          >or in print sources?

          I've got this list which is from the Handbook of Italian Renaissance Painting

          http://www.goldsword.com/sfarmer/Garb/gallwitz_ItalianPainters.html

          It's divided up by time-period and Major Regions -- it gives the primary artists for the time and region in question

          jerusha
          -----
          Susan Farmer
          sfarmer@...
          Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College
          Division of Science and Math
        • Jessica Maxson
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 7, 2009
            Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I've forwarded them to my friend.
            Hopefully she will find them helpful.

            Grazie,
            --Giuliana

          • marinadisalina@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 17, 2009
              question?
              why is the same message aired three or four times ?
              I've seen answers and suggestions several times also
              any way to limit ?