Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] "Turkish" overgowns and other outerwear

  • Antonia Calvo
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2009
      Dianne wrote:

      >I always have a heck of a time turning and stuffing paned shoulder rolls that are 3 times that size, mainly because of my problems with my hands. How do you make the tiny ones?>>
      >
      >When I need to turn small items, I use a pair of hemostats. Bunch up the piece so you can get at the far end, grab it with the hemostats, and just pull it through. I think that would work better for your hands, as well, Chris.

      That's a good idea.

      To make very small tubes, I often pin them right-side-out and join the
      edges with whip-stitch or ladder-stitch so that I don't have to turn
      them at all.

      --
      Antonia di Benedetto Calvo

      -----------------------------
      Habeo metrum - musicamque,
      hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
      -Georgeus Gershwinus
      -----------------------------
    • Maria Buchanan
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
        LOL To make very small tubes, I get a complementary color of ribbon or cording.

        ------------ --------- --------

        Habeo metrum - musicamque,

        hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?

        -Georgeus Gershwinus

        ------------ --------- --------

      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
          You might also want to read, or re-read, through this dress diary for the Italian Showcase on Bella's site.
          http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/2005/JenniferL.htm
          You might find either inspiration or something useful there; you might find both.

          Yseult the Gentle

          --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Catalfamo" <catalfamo1190@...> wrote:

          > But what about stuffing the tubes? It occurred to me at about 3 AM to go down to JoAnn's and get that big piping for curtains and just make piping. They have different sizes. DUH (smacks head)

        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
            Very sorry if this reply shows up twice: Yahoo! is behaving oddly.

            You might want to read, or re-read, this Italian Showcase on Bella's site. Jennifer did some research and made some discoveries, some of which might be useful to you in treating piping; if not, you may find some information there.

            Good luck.

            Yseult the Gentle

            --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Catalfamo" <catalfamo1190@...> wrote:

            > But what about stuffing the tubes? It occurred to me at about 3 AM to go down to JoAnn's and get that big piping for curtains and just make piping. They have different sizes. DUH (smacks head)

          • borderlands15213
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
              Oh, crum. Forgot the link, *and* I see my first reply has shown up after all.
              Sorry, everyone, but here's the link for anyone who needs or wants it:
              http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/yourgarb/2005/JenniferL.htm

              Yseult

              --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213" <borderlands15213@...> wrote:

              > Very sorry if this reply shows up twice: Yahoo! is behaving oddly.
              >
              > You might want to read, or re-read, this Italian Showcase on Bella's site. Jennifer did some research and made some discoveries, some of which might be useful to you in treating piping; if not, you may find some information there.
              >
              > Good luck.
              >
              > Yseult the Gentle
            • Chris Catalfamo
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009