Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] was: way early Italian? now: Turkish Zimarri

  • Margo Anderson
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2009
      > >If anyone knows of any other references or better, images of the
      > Turkish coat in mid-16th century Europe, I would appreciate it.

      The garment in this portrait:
      http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/images/HenryVIII20.jpg
      looks very similar to the Turkish coats of the period, especially the
      short straight sleeves and the horizontal bands on each sides of the
      buttons.

      Margo

    • Chris Catalfamo
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 2, 2009
        And I wonder if we are also looking at the inspiration for the ropa and loose gown in general. Since the Moors were still in Spain until 1492 and it has been inferred, since Isabella was a warrior queen, that her court was heavily influenced by Moorish culture.
        Certainly what still exists in Spain suggests that. And Southern Italy was also under Moorish control on and off.

        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
          Ok--the inspiration gown. What is she wearing underneath? At first glance almost looks like an 1870's gown. Is it a doublet?