RE: [h-cost] Italian sleeve question

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2008
      The caps the cuffs and bodice look more like a part of the fabric then
      embroidery. The bodice, if you enlarge the pictures appears to be pleated.
      http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/CARIANISeduction.JPG
      http://tinyurl.com/8q48hy

      There are other paintings that have pleated or gathered fronts.
      ex:
      http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/LadyParapet.jpg
      http://tinyurl.com/8gepo9

      Perhaps brocade is not the correct term. What I am saying is that the fabric
      may have had a design woven on one of the selvage ends (similar to some sari
      fabrics), including the "yellow" band and the seamstress may have made use
      of it by cutting the fabric and sewing it so that the design would end up at
      the cuffs, bodice and caps. The band seen is to big for a simple running
      stitch.

      It appears to be a necklace and not a partlet. There may be a fob on the end
      hiding in the cleavage.

      De

      Original:
      <<<<The chemise looks like it is smocked to me. The tiny pleats and near
      same color embroidery would match.
      Is that a necklace underneath or a sheer partlet?
      As for the sleeves, it looks like embroidery to me. Much of what we think
      is brocade from period was actually embroidered, not woven. Especially if it
      had coat of arms on it. I see running stitches across the sleeves, caps, and
      wrist ruffles, but not the bodice itself. It looks to me like a contrast
      piece for the upper bodice and sleeve tops with a stitch to bring the sleeve
      tops and the caps together visually.

      --
      Aspasia Moonwind