questions about a picture and bodice

  • bagagnon
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 25, 2008
      Hi all,

      Does anyone know where/when this painting is from?
      http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y253/mully4235/Deb-image004.jpg
      (hopefully that link works)

      I saw it on a web page somewhere but can't find it anywhere alse. It
      looks italian to me, but I've been known to be wrong many times
      before :) I have fabric in that exact shade of blue that I've been
      hoping to sew into a dress.

      Also, I have another question if you don't mind. For renaissance
      dresses, the bodice should end at the natural waist right? Like where
      the crease is when you bend to the side? At the last rib? I ask
      because I apparently have a very short waist. It's pretty much right
      under my breast.

      April
    • alluwolf
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2008
        Hi April
        I have never seen that picture before, so I too would love more info
        about it.

        To me it looks 1490-ish, possible late 80s.

        > Also, I have another question if you don't mind. For renaissance
        > dresses, the bodice should end at the natural waist right? Like
        where
        > the crease is when you bend to the side? At the last rib? I ask
        > because I apparently have a very short waist. It's pretty much right
        > under my breast.

        Nope. You have the right location of the natural waist (for me its
        above my bellybutton and under my lowest rib, closer to the rib than
        the belly button)but dresses didn't have a natural waist through the
        entire renaissance in Italy. I think in the late renaissance they may
        have, but I know in the 1470s and 80s and 90s the waists were between
        natural and underbust. There are some dramatically high waists seen
        actually, but they were all generally high at this point. I am not
        sure when the fashion went back to natural again, nor if they stayed
        that way till the end, but there were times in the renaissance when the
        waist was above natural.

        Kath
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 26, 2008
          Florence, 147? - 1500.