Back or side lacing for later dress?

  • Maluithil
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 21, 2008
      Hello All,

      I am making a dress based on a Giovanni Battista Moroni painting from around 1560. (you can see it here: http://www.bestpriceart.com/vault/cgfa_moroni9.jpg)I have decided to interpret the garment as being two dresses, an under one and an over one which seems to have only one closure in the front. The question I bring before you is where should I put the lacing for the under dress? I know that back lacing existed, but perhaps side lacing might be less noticeable under the very-close-fitting over dress. The problem is, of all the paintings and other sources I�ve looked into, I have not found any evidence favoring lacing on the side or the back for the simple gown. I know front lacing was common, but the dress I�m creating will have lacing elsewhere. I�ve listed a few examples of similar gowns below. Does anyone know if there was a trend for having lacing either in the side or the back for these dresses? Can anyone make a suggestion for the best
      course of action for the lacing so it will not be conspicuous from under the over dress?

      Examples of simple wide-necked dress like the under dress I intend to create:
      http://alfalfapress.com/history/costume/images/1550_sofonisba_lg.jpg
      http://alfalfapress.com/history/costume/images/1540s_bronzino.jpg
      http://alfalfapress.com/history/costume/images/1540s_florentine.jpg
      http://alfalfapress.com/history/costume/images/1551_Cosimo_lg.jpg

      Humbly,
      Eleonora

    • Trishka
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 21, 2008
        I've always seen them as the double side lacings but not side lacing as in
        under the arm, side lacing as in down the sides of the back. That's the way
        the dress in Janet Arnold is laced. I can think of a bunch of peasant
        dresses from that time period that are laced that way also but they don't
        have the stiffened bodice.

        Victoria

[...]

      • Elizabeth Caldwell
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 21, 2008
          Like this:
          http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/lacing/lace10.html

          Side back lacing seems to be pretty common in the 16th century and into the
          17th century. (There is one lovely portrait from about 1610, I think, of a
          lady in a yellow dress with the side back lacing at the National Gallery of
          Art in Washington DC)

          -Isabella D'Angelo