Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] RE: Allori painting

    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 10, 2008
      ----- Original Message ----
      From: Susan Farmer <sfarmer@...>
      Subject: Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] RE: Allori painting

      They're up side-by-side here
      http://florentinescot.livejournal.com/88025.html
      and they're different.

      jerusha (aka FlorentineScot)<<<<<

      The Moda image is more cropped. The bottom of the portrait has some cracks, and it appears that they cropped those out for the Moda image. Taking that into consideration, they appear to be identical. The embroidery on both gowns looks identical, the only difference being the colour overall. It looks like one is the pre-cleaning version, and one the post-cleaning. The embroidery on the over gown is the same, ao is the hair treatment, the curls over the ear, the camicia trimmed in black lace, and the partlet. As far as I can see the woman in the Wikimedia image is the same woman in Moda.
      Maybe I'm just wanting it to be the same? It's possible. :-)

       Bella

      Win a MacBook Air or iPod touch with Yahoo!7. http://au.docs.yahoo.com/homepageset
    • Chris Catalfamo
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 10, 2008
        Seems the same to me also. I'm not an expert but I do have some museum textile/potrait experience.

        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 10, 2008
          Ah! Just found a couple of differences. I had to bring them up on image editing program so that I could compare them side by side, but yes, I now think one is copy. :-)

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 10, 2008
            But couldn't it be the same portrait produced (copied)
            for a different owner? Not like they could use a copying machine. Same person, same gown, replicated fpr someone else.

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 11, 2008
              But couldn't it be the same portrait produced (copied)
              for a different owner? Not like they could use a copying machine. Same person, same gown, replicated fpr someone else.<<<

              Yes, it is a copy. Same person (to me at least), but there are slight differences between the two gowns so... not the same gown. In effect, they are not identical portraits, which is what I thought at first.