RE: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] OT: My fabric store has failed me... Please

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 11, 2008
      The turquoise is a dilemma for me. I have no clue what to make of it. It is
      a good weight for a chemise but it is turquoise. Perhaps a summer dress?
      Drawers? Underskirt? AHHHHHH.

      I was thinking that if this
      http://tinyurl.com/687zfs
      gets down to $10 a yd I would like to make one of these.
      http://festiveattyre.com/research/secondflor/secflor16.html
      http://tinyurl.com/66rqmr

      But health and other things have interfered with sewing and I have plenty of
      fabric to work with, so I really don't need to get more.
      I am determined to have a costume this year for Archon so most of my spare
      time for sewing will be for that.

      You are a wicked, wicked, WICKED woman, you know, to throw that
      temptation in my path!

      Yseult, now crazed with fabric-lust in general and salivating over
      the turquoise linen in particular.....

      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com,

      > Trying to do that too but failing miserably.
      > Bought this
      > http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=297
      > http://tinyurl.com/53usvf
      > It's a light weight, no slubs.

    • Suzi
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 11, 2008
        Good luck with that, lol. I was good until I saw a silk brocade I liked
        and then I blew all the money I'd saved from not buying fabric for the
        last 6 months, lol.

        --- In
        Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213"
        <borderlands15213@...> wrote:

        > Yseult the Gentle, trying very hard to be good and *not* buy any more
        > fabric before completing a planned number of outfits/garments, and
        > reducing the stash by that much....

      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 13, 2008
          Right now, I don't know what I'd make of it, either, but I am mad for
          the color. Want, *want,* WANT!
          (Ohhh....was I shouting? Sorry...!)

          I don't know that I could wait until [this: http://tinyurl.com/687zfs%5d
          gets down to $10/yd. MMMMM! Luscious! Want that, too! Want, *want*---
          I'd be wanting to do something with that, too much to take the gamble
          that it would get to $10/yd and still be there for me to purchase.
          "Wanting to obtain it" in addition to making it up, I mean. Couched
          gold cord outlining that motif, perhaps? Pearls, slightly larger than
          those we call "seed?" Both?
          <sigh> I console myself with the thought, "We can't keep
          *everything.*" (So we don't have to afford or have the space for
          "everything.")
          Or...I *could* sell off some of the stash in order to afford *that*
          beautiful material, now couldn't I...? Hmmm....

          Yseult the Gentle

          --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "otsisto"
          <otsisto@...> wrote:

          > The turquoise is a dilemma for me. I have no clue what to make of
          it. It is
          > a good weight for a chemise but it is turquoise. Perhaps a summer dress?
          > Drawers? Underskirt? AHHHHHH.
          >
          > I was thinking that if this
          > http://tinyurl.com/687zfs
          > gets down to $10 a yd I would like to make one of these.
          > http://festiveattyre.com/research/secondflor/secflor16.html
          > http://tinyurl.com/66rqmr
          >
          > But health and other things have interfered with sewing and I have
          plenty of
          > fabric to work with, so I really don't need to get more.
          > I am determined to have a costume this year for Archon so most of my
          spare
          > time for sewing will be for that.
          >
          > De

        • borderlands15213
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 13, 2008
            Thanks, lol. ;->

            I'd like to *find* silk brocade. I live in a veritable mecca of
            polyester, although it's getting a little bit better than that,
            lately, and of course there are the online merchants.
            Aahhh...really, truly, fabulous, period-esque silk brocade....
            Yum. Delectable....

            Yseult the Gentle

            --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Suzi"

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 13, 2008
              The fact that it is cotton/linen is the temptation. the fact that I got a
              few weeks ago 5yds of cotton/poly brocade for $4 a yd (what they had left)
              is what holds me back. The material is shot w/orange weft and taupe warp to
              make a chocolate background and taupe design.
              I have lots of material and I need to sew them up and because the fabric
              online is cotton/linen, and if it is $10 a yd or under, would be the factor
              that I would use to excuse the purchase. :)
              Presently I have a navy brocade and burgundy jacquard waiting to be made
              into a loose gown and a cream brocade into a kirtle.