Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Digest Number 1512

  • Kat
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 25, 2008
      Thanks Allegranza, Liadain and Betsabea,

      I had this camicia on the 'to do project list' for over a year. Finally I
      bit the bullet and gave it a go. Originally, I also was daunted with the
      prospect of it... but I broke it down into bits. Other than having to learn
      a new skill of smocking - my first attempt, I was surprised how simple it
      was! If you have made one camicia, then it *is* fairly straight
      forward -with just some extra bits!

      The embroidery is up to personal taste and can be simple or intricate. This
      is probably the most 'daunting' for those who don't embroider... but...
      Looking at some portraits, it can be as plain as a simple edging, so go for
      it!!!
      In the end, though it took some time, I was suprised how mistaken I had
      been.
      I am glad I was able to help in the explaining of the process I adopted for
      my version.

      RE: website Diaries: They will probably get a 'rewrite' at some stage to
      make them easier to read, but *most* of them will stay. I am trying to
      reduce the 'pap' and make it more useful.... well, hopefully!
      :)
      Thanks again for the comments.

      Kat
      (relieved it was finished in time for the next major event in April)
      phew!
      La Signora Onorata Katerina da Brescia
      Innilgard.
      The Purplefiles http://katerina.purplefiles.net

      "Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might
      as well dance!"

      > The Camicia is gorgeous!!! I have been wanting to do one but was scared
      > by
      > all the detail...I'm a visual person and now that I have seen yours its
      > not
      > nearly as intimidating!!
      > Allegranza
      > Lady Allegranza Maria del Rosso

      > The camicia is absolutely beautiful, and your write-up is inspirational
      > as
      > well! Thanks!
      > Liadain

      > I just wanted to say the camicia is beautiful and I echo Liadan's
      > comments aobut seeing the step by step makes it conceivable that one
      > might actually attempt something similar. Also I would like to add
      > that I really love people's dress diaries for the same reason so I
      > hope you are not eliminating any detailed diaries.
      > Betsabea
    • Frank A Thallas Jr
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 26, 2008
        And to think - this is the part that always astounds my mother - all that
        work and care is for UNDERWEAR. I totally love it......

        Liadain
        Should be researching or cooking, instead am messin' around on the Net

        THL Liadain ni Mhordha OFO
        wildernesse, the Outlands
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/liadains_fancies

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 26, 2008
          Frank A Thallas Jr wrote:

          > And to think - this is the part that always astounds my mother - all that
          >work and care is for UNDERWEAR. I totally love it......

          Ah... my Mum gets this one-- I think she may be a bit of a nut. :-)

          The thing for me (and probably lots of other costumers) is that I
          consider myself to be the primary arbiter of the quality of my work. So
          I rarely engage in the kind of thinking that says "it doesn't matter
          what this looks like because it's no-one will see it" (or, it's only
          underwear, it doesn't matter...). _I_ have very well-defined ideas of
          what I think is OK and _I_ will see it.

          --
          Antonia Calvo
          (formerly known as Adele de Maisieres)

          -----------------------------
          Habeo metrum - musicamque,
          hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
          -Georgeus Gershwinus
          -----------------------------
        • Frank A Thallas Jr
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 26, 2008
            That's it exactly - **I** know what I'm wearing, and Beautiful is Better.
            <G>

            Liadain

            Ah... my Mum gets this one-- I think she may be a bit of a nut. :-)

            The thing for me (and probably lots of other costumers) is that I
            consider myself to be the primary arbiter of the quality of my work. So
            I rarely engage in the kind of thinking that says "it doesn't matter
            what this looks like because it's no-one will see it" (or, it's only
            underwear, it doesn't matter...). _I_ have very well-defined ideas of
            what I think is OK and _I_ will see it.

            --
            Antonia Calvo
            (formerly known as Adele de Maisieres)

            -----------------------------
            Habeo metrum - musicamque,
            hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
            -Georgeus Gershwinus
          • borderlands15213
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
              --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Antonia Calvo
              <ladyadele@...> wrote:

              > Frank A Thallas Jr wrote:
              >
              > > And to think - this is the part that always astounds my mother -
              all that
              > >work and care is for UNDERWEAR. I totally love it......
              > >

              > Ah... my Mum gets this one-- I think she may be a bit of a nut. :-)
              >
              > The thing for me (and probably lots of other costumers) is that I
              > consider myself to be the primary arbiter of the quality of my work.
              So
              > I rarely engage in the kind of thinking that says "it doesn't matter
              > what this looks like because it's no-one will see it" (or, it's only
              > underwear, it doesn't matter...). _I_ have very well-defined ideas of
              > what I think is OK and _I_ will see it.
              >
              > --
              > Antonia Calvo
              > (formerly known as Adele de Maisieres)

              Kind of an OOP aside, here: when David O. Selznick was making "Gone
              With The Wind," he insisted that the two actresses portraying
              Scarlett's sisters were to have *silk* petticoats with layers of
              ruffles, trimmed with very expensive Valenicienne lace. Both of those
              ladies gasped their protests: But Mr Selznick, the expense, and no
              one's going to *see* our petticoats---
              Valid points.
              But Selznick told them, addressing their real-life selves and their
              on-screen personae simultaneously, "You are the pampered daughters of
              a wealthy plantation owner. Of course you wear such expensive things.
              You must *feel* what it is to be the pampered daughters of a wealthy
              plantation owner, accustomed to finery and luxury, because when you
              feel it, [the audience] will believe it" in more or less so many words.
              So, Antonia, you GO, girl!

              Yseult the Gentle
            • Maddalena Alessandra
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
                I know they existed as of about three years ago
                because I got to see a piece that a store had gotten
                in for a client. Wow is all I can say it even had
                real gold along with the hand painting.
                --- Trishka <trishka@...> wrote:

                > Somewhere I saw a post about an Italian (I think)
                > company that was
                > making fabric the same way they had been for
                > hundreds of years. Same
                > materials, same patterns etc. It was the type of
                > thing that they only
                > have a couple of patterns they make and it's REALLY
                > pricy but the web
                > site was really fascinating. Does this sound
                > familiar to anyone? I
                > can't figure out where I saw the link posted but I'm
                > fairly certain that
                > it was an Italian company so I'm hoping that it was
                > either posted here
                > or someone here know what I'm talking about.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Victoria

                > removed]

              • borderlands15213
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
                  Is this what you're thinking of?
                  www.luigi-belivacqua.com/

                  Yseult the Gentle

                  --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Trishka"
                  <trishka@...> wrote:

                  > Somewhere I saw a post about an Italian (I think) company that was
                  > making fabric the same way they had been for hundreds of years. Same
                  > materials, same patterns etc. It was the type of thing that they only
                  > have a couple of patterns they make and it's REALLY pricy but the web
                  > site was really fascinating. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I
                  > can't figure out where I saw the link posted but I'm fairly certain that
                  > it was an Italian company so I'm hoping that it was either posted here
                  > or someone here know what I'm talking about.
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > Victoria

                • Trishka
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008

                  • marinadisalina@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
                      You may be thinking of Scalamandre fabrics which can sell for over a $thousand a yard
                      but also has a must-go discount section of? 7-or more$ clearance stuff.
                      Lucienne

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
                        That's the one I was looking for, Thanks! I've book marked it this
                        time.

                        Victoria

                        <mailto:Italian_Renaissance_Costuming%40yahoogroups.com>
                        <trishka@...> wrote:

                        > Somewhere I saw a post about an Italian (I think) company that was
                        > making fabric the same way they had been for hundreds of years. Same
                        > materials, same patterns etc. It was the type of thing that they only
                        > have a couple of patterns they make and it's REALLY pricy but the web
                        > site was really fascinating. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I
                        > can't figure out where I saw the link posted but I'm fairly certain
                        that
                        > it was an Italian company so I'm hoping that it was either posted here
                        > or someone here know what I'm talking about.
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Victoria

                      • Trishka
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 27, 2008
                          Oh, I like there stuff. Thanks!

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 28, 2008
                            I had them send me a small sample once.... to die for... and one of
                            these days I'd like to buy some and use it on a dress.

                            --- In
                            Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "borderlands15213"