Sewing machine help

  • JEN
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
      ok I did it. I officially killed my sewing machine! I am now trying to
      figure out what machine I should buy. I need something durable that
      will last. In the worst situation I would be sewing 8 to 10 hours a day
      6 days a week, (no I do not work in, or own a sweatshop lol) Just when
      I have sewing projects, I have HUGE sewing projects. I was recomended a
      viking se, a brother duetta, and a Janome 6600. I would like to also
      have an embroiedery machine though I am not sure it would be a good
      idea that I get a combo machine, at least when I am wearing down a
      machine I am not doing it twice as fast.
      So what machines do you recomend. Not needing to be a $50000 machine
      that is plated in gold. I need it to be durable, have a decent amount
      of stiches, I love computerized if possible, and it would be great if I
      could work on leather.
      Also if someone could recomend a good embroidery machine, preferably
      one that has an endless hoop (easy for making trim) but it needs to
      have usb hook up to be able to make my own designs.
      And last but not least I hate my serger it is a singer 4 thread ultra
      lock. I have had nothing but problems! So a recomended serger???
      Thankyou SOOO much for your help.
      Jen
    • rizardo dartusio
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
        Must be something in the air. Our machine quit too. It was an expensive Elna and it has been in the repair shop more often than not. We're tired of putting repair dollars into it, and even though it was over $2000 new, so it's going into the dumpster. By contrast our little "backup machine," a "White's Jean Machine 4042" has been trouble free and is now picking up all the load. I'm a little disillusioned with paying a lot for a machine after our experience with the Elna. I even thought of buying another Jean Machine as a back up, back up, but the 4042 isn't being sold anymore.

        We need reliability and the ability to sew through lots of fabric. We don't need a lot of fancy stitches, and don't want to spend another $1500 to $2000. So, as long as people are suggesting machines for Jen, they might as well recommend one for us as well. Also, if you have a recommendation of where to buy on line, that would be nice too.

        Thanks

        Rizardo and Celonise

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
          My husband just recently took mine into the shop when it jammed itself on broken thread. The repair guy was appalled at how much I use mine, and I don't use it anywhere near as much as some of y'all. He said that if you're doing more than occasional projects, you need to get a workshop model.

          I would specifically talk to the REPAIR people about what to get, as the sales staff usually don't have a clue. After all, they're the ones who had sold me the one that isn't up to the sewing I do, even when I brought in samples of the fabric I sew and explained how much I use it.

          Adele Desfontaines

        • liz wilkerson
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
            Hmmmmmmm. Viking. And Viking. And lemme think... Viking! The basic models make great workhorses and they do have a full line of embroidery type machines. I have a "Rose" an earlier embroidery machine. Named Margot. ( Long story.) I've never used the embroidery unit on her. Shes a year < cringe> overdue for her yearly checkup and still going strong. ( She doesn't know about the Union so she hasn't complained yet.) She works about 4-6 hours a day, 6 a week making things for a mondo big SCA household. Her predecessor was their first computerized machine ( Helga. Alas poor Helga) , made in the 70's , complete with plastic daises embossed into the harvest gold cover. I finally killed Helga making a cloak 3 years ago. There were supposed to be 6 pieces in the transmission. I made 9. Beh! We have a viking dealer here in Oklahoma City that carries the whole line and lets you trade in older machines on new ones. If I remember correctly, Whites are made by a subsidiary of the
            Viking company, so they are very similar. Pretty tough little fellas. And less expensive than their Viking sisters. I don't know if the Whites have an embroidery machine in the line, or just straight sewing machines though.
            My mom just traded in her Viking D1(Margaret) in on an SE ( Hildegarde) . which does everything BUT the dishes, and will at least sort them for you. A D1 might be a machine to check out, as I do think they have the usb ports on them now, and have the endless hoop feature you mentioned.
            Thats my .02. Good luck! May the fabric gods bless your endeavor.

            Lisette de Beaumont

          • deb
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
              LOL,I had a Jeans Machine that was garbage and my used Elna sews like a
              champ!! I have a friend who does costuming for a non-profit and uses a
              Viking that is an older model but she has sewn everything and I sewed a pair
              of boots on it - it did pretty well. Just my 2cents worth.

              Deb in Colorado

            • GiliadelLago@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
                For me, the most important thing is not the manufacturer. It is what it's
                'guts' are made of. Almost all modern machines are made up of a combination
                of plastic and metal. And the plastic is the majority. Today's home sewing
                machines are made to be disposable.

                I have been sewing since I was tiny and have owned several machines. My
                favorite is a 1960's or 1970's Kenmore. You can pick them up at garage sales
                and thrift stores for $100 or less. Then take them in for a full cleaning.
                Under the hood they are all metal.

                I have made a pavilion and walls to encircle my encampment on mine. I have
                also sewn through 16 layers of canvas as if it were butter. These machines
                are meant to do upholstery right down to lingerie, just change the needle out
                and voila!

                My second choice would be a similar era Viking or Janome. I will never buy
                a modern sewing machine unless it is an embroidery one. And that will only
                be used for embroidery.

                I should also point out that while I don't know what exactly you did to kill
                yours, My parents have had a Kenmore for about 40 years. My mother sewed on
                it daily in the 1970's and into the 80's. My father sewed through naugahyde
                regularly to recover this and that around the house. It has had regular
                servicing and is still fabulous.

                Good luck!

                -Gilia

              • sunshine.k.buchler@kp.org
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
                  In most of the small (but professional) costume shops I used to work in we
                  had Bernina 1008 machines (if we weren't working with industrial
                  machines). It's the low end of Bernina's high-end line, and it's still
                  entirely mechanical rather then computerized (which means you don't have
                  to worry about your coffee mug - except as the drink relates to the fabric
                  ;-) ). Mine's been incredibly reliable, I've had it for 6+ years and sew
                  an awful lot :-), the Bernina's in the costume shops were all workhorses
                  and very reliable. It's not a fussy machine at all - I have yet to run
                  into something it didn't want to sew. Mine cost something like $500, I'm
                  not sure what the current going price is... It's not an embroidery machine
                  though - if you want an all-in-one, this isn't the machine for you. Can't
                  recommend either embroidery machines or sergers, as I've never worked with
                  embroidery machines and I am not keen on my serger... :-S

                  Good luck!
                  -sunny

                  NOTICE TO RECIPIENT: If you are not the intended recipient of this
                  e-mail, you are prohibited from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or
                  disclosing its contents. If you have received this e-mail in error,
                  please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently
                  delete this e-mail and any attachments without reading, forwarding or
                  saving them. Thank you.

                • lady_cadhla
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
                    Oh, my goodness! There must definitely be something going around!
                    I'm having trouble with my machine, too! Although mine is not a
                    mechanical problem, it's still just as distressing....I can't find the
                    power cord and foot pedal. I have a lovely pile of fabric, just
                    crying out to be made into dresses, underskirts, camicias, and a shirt
                    for my boyfriend (the dresses and other things are for me...lol). Oh,
                    the woes of moving and not remembering where you packed things.

                    Caeleinn
                  • borderlands15213
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 24, 2008
                      --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, liz wilkerson
                      <thevintagefloozy@...> wrote:

                      > Hmmmmmmm. Viking. And Viking. And lemme think... Viking! The basic
                      models make great workhorses and they do have a full line of
                      embroidery type machines. I have a "Rose" an earlier embroidery
                      machine. Named Margot. ( Long story.) I've never used the
                      embroidery unit on her. Shes a year < cringe> overdue for her yearly
                      checkup and still going strong. ( She doesn't know about the Union
                      so she hasn't complained yet.) She works about 4-6 hours a day, 6 a
                      week making things for a mondo big SCA household. Her predecessor
                      was their first computerized machine ( Helga. Alas poor Helga) ,
                      made in the 70's , complete with plastic daises embossed into the
                      harvest gold cover. I finally killed Helga making a cloak 3 years
                      ago. There were supposed to be 6 pieces in the transmission. I made
                      9. Beh! We have a viking dealer here in Oklahoma City that carries
                      the whole line and lets you trade in older machines on new ones. If
                      I remember correctly, Whites are made by a subsidiary of the
                      > Viking company, so they are very similar. Pretty tough little
                      fellas.

                      They are indeed. White sewing machines used to be a
                      division/subsidiary of White Motor Company, which produced motors
                      for White Trucks. Around here, the Jeans Machines are the machine
                      of choice for home ec sewing in the schools, so they have to be able
                      to handle six hours of use per day.
                      The original order of the company buying, I'm reasonably sure
                      (although that doesn't mean "right") was that White purchased
                      Viking/Husquvarna, and later that was taken over by someone else,
                      and now most folks hear and think of "Viking/White."
                      Anyway, the "Jeans Machine" or whatever its current incarnation is
                      (I have two Singer Featherweight 221's---one of them was my
                      mother's; a White Jeans Machine in what I'm sure is an earlier model
                      than you're talking about here; and an older Kenmore than has all
                      metal workings, which I picked up at a thrift shop for US$8.00.)

                      >And less expensive than their Viking sisters. I don't know if the
                      >Whites have an embroidery machine in the line,

                      They have. I don't do much embroidery of any sort, so I haven't
                      thought of getting an embroidering *machine.*
                      And IIRC, the White embroidery machines don't do as much stuff, or
                      such fancy stuff, and there aren't as many models to choose from.

                      Yseult the Gentle
                    • Debbie Armstrong
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 1, 2008
                        My personal reccommendation would be Bernina...find a dealer, and ask about older reconditioned machines, especially the NON computerized, ALL-METAL [heavier than snot] models

                        I have an "old" 730, and I love it. It has 20 stitches other than straight and zig-zag, has a completely trouble-proof bobbin fill, does buttonholes, and has all the high-flying temprament of a 15-year old plow horse

                        Damietta d'Carnivalle