Men's Clothing

  • janeofglastonbury
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 9, 2007
      Greetings,

      My lord husband wants to do Italian - he's not fussy about year. He's
      about 5'll and very muscular on top but with a large belly. What would
      you suggest and where can I find patterns?

      With thanks,

      Lady Johanna de Glastingburi
    • Susan Griner
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 10, 2007
        Here's farsetto directions
        http://home.earthlink.net/~lizjones429/farsetto.html
        At this time they padded the stomach of the garment, so he already has a step in the right
        direction ;-)
        Lucrezia
        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "janeofglastonbury"

      • hellmonkey@pcisys.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 10, 2007
          How about something similar to plate 8 in Italian Renaissance costume paper
          dolls. I have seen it in a painting also but cannot find the reference
          right at the moment. That would show off the upper body but maybe hide the
          belly! It's pretty easy too.

          Deb >

          Greetings,

          > My lord husband wants to do Italian - he's not fussy about year. He's
          > about 5'll and very muscular on top but with a large belly. What would
          > you suggest and where can I find patterns?
          >
          > With thanks,
          >
          > Lady Johanna de Glastingburi

        • Philip Smith
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 10, 2007
            You could try Period Patterns # 26 and 43. They have lots of historical
            notes too. I have used their patterns several times as a starting point for
            historically accurate costumes.

            Deb Wormsbacher

            _____

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 10, 2007
              If you have some skill in sewing then perhaps Margo Anderson's Gentleman
              pattern.
              http://www.margospatterns.com/
              Scroll down

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 12, 2007
                --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, hellmonkey@...
                wrote:

                > How about something similar to plate 8 in Italian Renaissance
                costume paper
                > dolls.
                > Deb >

                Help some of us out just a little bit more, here: Where does one find
                Plate 8? I know you've said "Italian Renaissance costume paper
                dolls," but is this a book? If so, it sounds like it might be a Dover
                publication; do you have the author or the ISBN number? A web site?
                A URL would be much appreciated.
                Or, is this one of those references that almost everyone else is
                familiar with? (Wouldn't be the first time....)
                With thanks,
                Yseult the Gentle
              • Philip Smith
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 14, 2007
                  SO sorry! I thought I had included more info (blush) It is a Dover Book by
                  Tom Tierney. ISBN # is 0-486-40075-1. My scanner is acting up or I would
                  scan it to you. I haven't made any men's clothing yet so I haven't a
                  reference painting to link you to either.

                  Deb

                  _____

                  <mailto:Italian_Renaissance_Costuming%40yahoogroups.com>
                  wrote:

                  > How about something similar to plate 8 in Italian Renaissance
                  costume paper
                  > dolls.
                  > Deb >

                  Help some of us out just a little bit more, here: Where does one find
                  Plate 8? I know you've said "Italian Renaissance costume paper
                  dolls," but is this a book? If so, it sounds like it might be a Dover
                  publication; do you have the author or the ISBN number? A web site?
                  A URL would be much appreciated.
                  Or, is this one of those references that almost everyone else is
                  familiar with? (Wouldn't be the first time....)
                  With thanks,
                  Yseult the Gentle

                • Karen George
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 14, 2007
                    Plate 8 is also on the cover.
                    If you go to Amazon.com and search for "Italian Renaissance Costumes",
                    it comes up first thing.

                    Karen
                    http://www.karen.htmlcreators.com/

                    Philip Smith wrote:

                    > SO sorry! I thought I had included more info (blush) It is a Dover Book by
                    > Tom Tierney. ISBN # is 0-486-40075-1. My scanner is acting up or I would
                    > scan it to you. I haven't made any men's clothing yet so I haven't a
                    > reference painting to link you to either.
                    >
                    > Deb
                    >
                    > _____
                    >
                    > .

                  • Philip Smith
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 15, 2007
                      Durer is wearing the Italian style in both self portraits. Those were
                      painted after he spent some time in Italy. Check this link

                      http://www.abcgallery.com/C/carpaccio/carpaccio3.html

                      _____

                      The cover costume on the woman is odd. Has anyone seen that style before?
                      The head covering looks more German then Italian.
                      The man looks like he is wearing a Durer style but I have seen something
                      like this in an Italian painting.

                      [Durer] Man in yellow
                      http://commons.
                      <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer_023.jpg>
                      wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer_023.jpg
                      http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/yo4dgv> com/yo4dgv

                      http://commons.
                      <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer_102.jpg>

                      <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Albrecht_D%C3%BCrer_103.jpg>

                      http://www.karen. <http://www.karen.htmlcreators.com/> htmlcreators.com/

                      Philip Smith wrote:

                      > SO sorry! I thought I had included more info (blush) It is a Dover Book by
                      > Tom Tierney. ISBN # is 0-486-40075-1. My scanner is acting up or I would
                      > scan it to you. I haven't made any men's clothing yet so I haven't a
                      > reference painting to link you to either.
                      >
                      > Deb
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > .

                    • rizardo dartusio
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 15, 2007
                        What an excellent site for paintings. Thank you for passing this along.

                        Rizardo and Celonise

                        Philip Smith wrote:

                        > SO sorry! I thought I had included more info (blush) It is a Dover Book by
                        > Tom Tierney. ISBN # is 0-486-40075- 1. My scanner is acting up or I would
                        > scan it to you. I haven't made any men's clothing yet so I haven't a
                        > reference painting to link you to either.
                        >
                        > Deb
                        >
                        > _____
                        >
                        > .

                      • Philip Smith
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 15, 2007
                          I know, I have the book. The drawing in the book is from this painting.

                          http://www.abcgalle <http://www.abcgallery.com/C/carpaccio/carpaccio3.html>
                          ry.com/C/carpaccio/carpaccio3.html

                          Deb

                          Then the PD is wearing a coat over a farsetto then.
                          Meaning that in the painting that the guy wearing the drapy coat has what
                          the guy on the right is wearing underneath. The PD gives the impression that
                          the coat is just over the shirt & hosen and held on with laces. And it
                          doesn't help that the PD lacing is in gray so you don't see them well.
                          http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl.com/yusac8> com/yusac8
                          De,___

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 15, 2007

                            http://tinyurl.com/yo4dgv