Lacing

  • Catherine de Gray <sister_dark_swan@yaho
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2003
      Ladies,

      Thus far I have been doing back-lacing up the centre and I have a
      question for those of you who are fuller figured like myself: has
      the side back-lacing worked okay for you, have you had any troubles
      with it? We were going to do it for my 12th Night Venetians but
      ended up doing it up the centre because Mumma thought it would work
      better. Input? Ideas?

      Catherine
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2003
        <sister_dark_swan@...> wrote:
        ---------------------------------
        Ladies,

        Thus far I have been doing back-lacing up the centre
        and I have a
        question for those of you who are fuller figured like
        myself: has
        the side back-lacing worked okay for you, have you had
        any troubles
        with it? We were going to do it for my 12th Night
        Venetians but
        ended up doing it up the centre because Mumma thought
        it would work
        better. Input? Ideas?<<<<<<

        Well Catherine, I don't know how much help I can be to
        you, because I've never made a back lacing dress. I
        have, however, made a side-back lacing dress. I found
        it very comfortable, and easy to make. I do straight
        side-back seams though - not curved as I've seen done.
        I find that re-inforcing the lacing edges with boning
        gives a nice tidy edge, and I don't know how boning is
        managed on curved side-back seams.

        - What's on at your local cinema?
      • Carolle M. Cox
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 2003
          > Ladies,
          >
          > Thus far I have been doing back-lacing up the centre and I have a
          > question for those of you who are fuller figured like myself: has
          > the side back-lacing worked okay for you, have you had any troubles
          > with it? We were going to do it for my 12th Night Venetians but
          > ended up doing it up the centre because Mumma thought it would work
          > better. Input? Ideas?
          >
          > Catherine

          I use almost exclusively underarm lacing, Catherine. I can't reach to do
          back lacing, and my daughter doesn't always go to events with us! I'm
          uncomfortable with front-lacing. Usually, i end up with bits of "the
          ladies" sticking out between the lacing, which is funny to see, never mind
          what it feels like. Side lacing, i can do myself with a long enough lace
          (you wind it through all the holes, then pull like the Devil. It does
          work.) Even if there's a small gap, it's not funny-looking nor painful.
          Like Bella, i bone the edges. I use the 'boning' that's plastic and comes
          in its own fabric casing. I take it Out of the casing, and slip it between
          the holes and the edge. Gives something to pull on, too.

          Gerita

        • Giana
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 11, 2003
            Greetings, Catherine,
            "Catherine de Gray <sister_dark_swan@...>" <sister_dark_swan@...> wrote:
            Ladies,

            Thus far I have been doing back-lacing up the centre and I have a
            question for those of you who are fuller figured like myself: has
            the side back-lacing worked okay for you, have you had any troubles
            with it?

            I am not sure if this is the same thing as you are asking about--for my 12th Night garb, I wore a side lacing bodice. I am quite full figured, although smaller on top, and I had no troubles with it. It was quite comfortable. However, I was not able to lace it myself, so if you are going to wear this type of bodice, do make sure to have someone around to help you dress. :)

            Giana