Italian bowler hat Digest Number 1411

  • Kat
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
      Hi,
      do you mean the figure 186 (tuscan womenof 30-45 years of age).?

      To me, this looks less like a bowler and more like the men's hats in
      Patterns of Fashion, with folds of the material from the crown into the
      band.

      I have been toying with patterns to make a hat much like that, but I am
      having problems with my buckram, so I have been looking at reshaping a felt
      hat to make one...
      Eventually this may work....

      the Lady from Sienna figure
      http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=695658&imageID=811533&word=vecellio&s=1¬word=&d=&c=&f=&lWord=&lField=&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&total=456&num=156&imgs=12&pNum=&pos=166#
      this does look like a bowler...hmmm...
      I do have one somewhere...
      :)

      Kat
      http://www.vecellio.net/ontheweb.html#images

      > 1a. Derby/Bowler Hat

      > On at least two vecellio images, one Italian and one English, women are
      > wearing what looks like a tall bowler/derby hat. Has anyone ordered and
      > used a modern such hat for your late 16th century ensemble? From what I
      > can tell, the crowns are about 4 1/2 inches. high.
    • Chris Catalfamo
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2007
        The Siena lady. The brim on a bowler is too small. Oddly, I found one that fit me at a local antique shop on Thursday. . . Dirty Billy in Gettysburg Pa can make any hat you want but they're $100 or more. Blanks are cheaper.

        Hey thanks! I didn't know Vecellio was online. Didn't look it up because I have the book. I wanted to email Siena woman to Dirty Billy just to see what price they would give me or any additional info about their pre-17th century custom made hats. .

        . chriscat

        -----

        Kat wrote:

        the Lady from Sienna figure
        http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=695658&imageID=811533&word=vecellio&s=1¬word=&d=&c=&f=&lWord=&lField=&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&total=456&num=156&imgs=12&pNum=&pos=166#
        this does look like a bowler...hmmm...
        I do have one somewhere...
        :)

        Kat
        http://www.vecellio.net/ontheweb.html#images

        Recent Activity
        a.. 1New Members
        Visit Your Group
        Yahoo! News
        Kevin Sites

        Get coverage of

        world crises.

        Share Photos
        Put your favorite

        photos and

        more online.

        Endurance Zone
        A Yahoo! Group

        Learn how to

        increase endurance.
        .

      • borderlands15213
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2007
          Not only is the brim too small, but the crown is a smidge too tall, as
          well.
          By the bye, that image of the Siennese donna, via the link, below: I
          checked the copy of Vecellio I have, and the image in what looks to be
          a smaller formatted book also looks as if it's been..."maintained," or
          "conserved," or otherwise touched up. But it also bears mentioning
          that my copy of Vecellio is the Dover edition, which might make a
          difference, too.
          Anyone else notice differences, or think you do?

          Yseult the Gentle

          --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris
          Catalfamo" <catalfamo1190@...> wrote:

          > The Siena lady. The brim on a bowler is too small. Oddly, I found
          one that fit me at a local antique shop on Thursday. . . Dirty Billy
          in Gettysburg Pa can make any hat you want but they're $100 or more.
          Blanks are cheaper.

          > Hey thanks! I didn't know Vecellio was online. Didn't look it up
          because I have the book. I wanted to email Siena woman to Dirty Billy
          just to see what price they would give me or any additional info about
          their pre-17th century custom made hats. .

          > . chriscat
          >
          > -----
          >
          > Kat wrote:
          >
          > the Lady from Sienna figure

          http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=695658&imageID=811533&word=vecellio&s=1¬word=&d=&c=&f=&lWord=&lField=&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&total=456&num=156&imgs=12&pNum=&pos=166#
          > this does look like a bowler...hmmm...
          > I do have one somewhere...
          > :)
          >
          > Kat
          > http://www.vecellio.net/ontheweb.html#images
          >

          > Recent Activity
          > a.. 1New Members
          > Visit Your Group
          > Yahoo! News
          > Kevin Sites
          >
          > Get coverage of
          >
          > world crises.
          >
          > Share Photos
          > Put your favorite
          >
          > photos and
          >
          > more online.
          >
          > Endurance Zone
          > A Yahoo! Group
          >
          > Learn how to
          >
          > increase endurance.
          > .

        • Chris Catalfamo
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2007
            I have an old wool felt hat that I used for 19th century as a younger woman that has a shorter crown and a wider brim that looks alot like the one on the lady from Siena in the Dover Vecellio, and also similar to the ones in Vecellio worn by Englishwomen on pages 82 and 83 in the Dover edition. . If nothing else, Vecellio has drawn very similar hats on these figures with slight variations in crown and brim.
            Not only is the brim too small, but the crown is a smidge too tall, as
            well.
            By the bye, that image of the Siennese donna, via the link, below: I
            checked the copy of Vecellio I have, and the image in what looks to be
            a smaller formatted book also looks as if it's been..."maintained," or
            "conserved," or otherwise touched up. But it also bears mentioning
            that my copy of Vecellio is the Dover edition, which might make a
            difference, too.
            Anyone else notice differences, or think you do?

            Yseult the Gentle

            --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris
            Catalfamo" <catalfamo1190@...> wrote:

            > The Siena lady. The brim on a bowler is too small. Oddly, I found
            one that fit me at a local antique shop on Thursday. . . Dirty Billy
            in Gettysburg Pa can make any hat you want but they're $100 or more.
            Blanks are cheaper.

            > Hey thanks! I didn't know Vecellio was online. Didn't look it up
            because I have the book. I wanted to email Siena woman to Dirty Billy
            just to see what price they would give me or any additional info about
            their pre-17th century custom made hats. .

            > . chriscat
            >
            > -----
            >
            > Kat wrote:
            >
            > the Lady from Sienna figure

            http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?trg=1&strucID=695658&imageID=811533&word=vecellio&s=1¬word=&d=&c=&f=&lWord=&lField=&sScope=&sLevel=&sLabel=&total=456&num=156&imgs=12&pNum=&pos=166#
            > this does look like a bowler...hmmm...
            > I do have one somewhere...
            > :)
            >
            > Kat
            > http://www.vecellio.net/ontheweb.html#images
            >

            > Recent Activity
            > a.. 1New Members
            > Visit Your Group
            > Yahoo! News
            > Kevin Sites
            >
            > Get coverage of
            >
            > world crises.
            >
            > Share Photos
            > Put your favorite
            >
            > photos and
            >
            > more online.
            >
            > Endurance Zone
            > A Yahoo! Group
            >
            > Learn how to
            >
            > increase endurance.
            > .

          • borderlands15213
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 7, 2007
              Oh, sorry: I realize, reading your reply, that I wasn't clear. What
              I'd meant to say was, not only is the brim on a bowler too small, but
              in this image the crown is just enough taller ("too tall") that a
              bowler is going to be too short and I expect it wouldn't look quite right.

              Yseult the Gentle

              --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Chris
              Catalfamo" <catalfamo1190@...> wrote:

              > I have an old wool felt hat that I used for 19th century as a
              younger woman that has a shorter crown and a wider brim that looks
              alot like the one on the lady from Siena in the Dover Vecellio, and
              also similar to the ones in Vecellio worn by Englishwomen on pages 82
              and 83 in the Dover edition. . If nothing else, Vecellio has drawn
              very similar hats on these figures with slight variations in crown and
              brim.
              Digest Number 1411

              > Not only is the brim too small, but the crown is a smidge too tall, as
              > well.
              <<<snipped>>>>