Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Question of lacing

  • Adele de Maisieres
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 1, 2007
      otsisto wrote:
      > Adele, some of the styles have plackets
      > http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/AnonymousBrescian.jpg
      > http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/JTintorettoPOALady.jpg
      > http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/VeroneseCouple.jpg

      I'm not sure whether those are terribly relevant to the original
      question, since we were talking 1480ish and those look 1580ish. I'm
      also not convinced that they're simply panels inserted behind the
      lacings. Some other possibilities are:
      1. Placket/stomacher covering the lacing of an underdress.
      2. Placket/stomacher covering the lacings of a corset.
      3. The underdress itself.

      --
      Adele de Maisieres

      -----------------------------
      Habeo metrum - musicamque,
      hominem meam. Expectat alium quid?
      -Georgeus Gershwinus
      -----------------------------
    • annikki@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
        From: Adele de Maisieres <ladyadele@...>
        > otsisto wrote:
        > > Adele, some of the styles have plackets
        > > http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/AnonymousBrescian.jpg
        > > http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/JTintorettoPOALady.jpg
        > > http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/wardrobe/VeroneseCouple.jpg
        > >
        > I'm not sure whether those are terribly relevant to the original
        > question, since we were talking 1480ish and those look 1580ish. I'm

        I think two threads mentioning lacing and plackets got crossed. I'm pretty sure this thread was about late 1500s Venetian (would need to doublecheck on the website to be certain, but I'm out the door to work right now), but there was also a recent thread on underdress vs. placket in late 1400s.

        Not that it's unusual to cross threads while lacing, intentionally or otherwise. ;)

        Adele Desfontaines
        Midrealm
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
          <I'm not sure whether those are terribly relevant to the original question,
          since we were talking 1480ish and those look 1580ish. I'm
          also not convinced that they're simply panels inserted behind the lacings.
          Some other possibilities are:
          1. Placket/stomacher covering the lacing of an underdress.
          2. Placket/stomacher covering the lacings of a corset.
          3. The underdress itself.
          --
          Adele de Maisieres>>>>

          I thought I was replying to the 1570s front lacing post. Did I get posts
          mixed up?

          De
        • Adele de Maisieres
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
            otsisto wrote:

            >I thought I was replying to the 1570s front lacing post. Did I get posts
            >mixed up?

            Ummmm... either you did or I did.

            --
            Adele de Maisieres

            -----------------------------
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 5, 2007
              annikki@... wrote:

              >I think two threads mentioning lacing and plackets got crossed. I'm pretty sure this thread was about late 1500s Venetian (would need to doublecheck on the website to be certain, but I'm out the door to work right now), but there was also a recent thread on underdress vs. placket in late 1400s.
              >
              >Not that it's unusual to cross threads while lacing, intentionally or otherwise. ;)
              >
              >Adele Desfontaines
              >Midrealm

              Yes, I think you're right. Ooops.

              --