fabric questions

  • Mary Connelly
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 30, 2003
      Good Morning!

      I was wondering if ya'll could define a couple types of fabric for me and also tell me of some inexpensive fabrics that could "pass" in a gown. These don't have to be period, but I would like some alternatives. I would like to make a couple of gowns that I can beat around in without worry, especially in camp, while chasing kids.

      What exactly is cotton drill? Is that canvas or broadcloth? Australian calico is muslin over here in the USA, right?

      Thanks for all your help! I am going to scan in a fabric buy that I need opinions on. It is polyester but I love the colors. Ifg it is not ok for garb, then I will just make a tablecloth or else a bedspread from it.

      Thanks!

      Francesca (Mary)

    • Holly Frantz
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 30, 2003
        The answer to your question really depends on what the
        temperatures are like most of the year in your area.
        I live in Southern Ansteorra, where temperatures are
        80 degrees or higher almost 70% of the time. Many
        summer events take place with temperatures in the 90s.

        So, the only time you'll find me in something besides
        linen is at Yule. If it's not quite as hot where you
        are, then cotton should work as well but cotton just
        doesn't breathe the way linen does. This is important
        if everyone around you is suffering from heat
        exhaustion. You can find linen online for the same
        price that your local Hancock's or Jo-Anns charges for
        cotton.

        What to stay away from on the bargain tables are
        fabrics that have synthetic fibers. If a hot day in
        your area is 70 degrees, then breathable fibers may
        not be as important but a general rule is to stay away
        from synthetic anything and synthetic/cotton blends.

        Solid colors are good. You can also find linen or
        cotton damasks (stay away from the cabbage rose
        patterns).

        Good online fabric sites.

        http://shop.store.yahoo.com/phoenixtextiles/index.html

        http://fabrics-store.com/

        Niccola

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 30, 2003
          --- Mary Connelly <bunnymom@...> wrote:
          What exactly is cotton drill?<<<<<<

          Hi Francesca - have you been looking at my site? :)
          Cotton drill over here is a 100% cotton fabric - a
          twill weave. It's slightly thicker and firmer than
          broadcloth. Twill weaves have a diagonal pattern in
          the weave. See this page for what twill weaves look
          like:
          <http://alpha.furman.edu/~kgossman/theatre26/twill.htm>

          I don't know what it is over there, but over here
          boradcloth is lighter/thinner, and canvas is thicker,
          like denim.

          USA, right?<<<<<

          If your muslin is an off-white to cream 100% cotton
          fabric, unprinted, slightly slubbed (not as much as
          dupioni though), which is often used for lining drapes
          - it might be what is known as calico here.

          - What's on at your local cinema?
        • n2kye <webwarren@earthlink.net>
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 30, 2003
            --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Bella
            <bella_lucia_da_verona@y...> wrote:

            > If your muslin is an off-white to cream 100% cotton
            > fabric, unprinted, slightly slubbed (not as much as
            > dupioni though), which is often used for lining drapes
            > - it might be what is known as calico here.

            So... what do you call the cotton fabric that has small repeating
            prints on it that is frequently used for patchwork/piecework quilts?
            Or is that a US/North American sort of thing?

            Brenda
            webwarren@...
          • Mary Connelly
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 30, 2003
              Bella,

              From what you describe, your calico is our muslin. The canvas is heavy like denim and broadcloth is thin cotton. I will have to look at Jo-Ann's to see if I can find some cotton that resembles the cotton drill you posted. I might have something close. I'll have to scan in the blue fabric I am thinking of and have you tell me.

              I love your site and visit it here and there. I hope to someday have a gown that is half as nice as those posted from all of you here.

              Have a wonderful day! (time for me to get to bed)

              Mary

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 30, 2003
                --- "n2kye <webwarren@...>"
                <webwarren@...> wrote:

                So... what do you call the cotton fabric that has
                small repeating prints on it that is frequently used
                for patchwork/piecework quilts?
                Or is that a US/North American sort of thing?<<<<<

                Hi Brenda, no we have that over here too - from memory
                I think they are usually referred to as quilt cottons,
                or cotton prints.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003
                  --- In Italian_Rennaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Mary
                  Connelly" <bunnymom@e...> wrote:

                  > From what you describe, your calico is our muslin. The canvas is
                  heavy like denim and broadcloth is thin cotton. I will have to look
                  at Jo-Ann's to see if I can find some cotton that resembles the
                  cotton drill you posted. I might have something close.

                  From Bella's description, it sounds a lot like chino. I don't
                  remember if the Jo-Ann's on Laskin sells chino; however, I did
                  purchase about 8 yards of hallowe'en-orange chino-weight cotton twill
                  from one of Hancock's discount tables about a year and a half ago, so
                  if you miss at Jo-Ann's, you might want to Hancock's.

                  (BTW, I overdyed the orange twill; it's now a lovely shade of deep
                  rose, courtesy of RIT dyes.)

                  Brenda
                  webwarren@...
                • Mary Connelly
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 31, 2003
                    Thanks Brenda! I will definitely take a look while I am there. I plan to go in search of some fabric for the boys' garb. I also need to pick up some for Martin.

                    They are having a sale this weekend, and I plan to be there for that.

                    Thanks again for the information!

                    Francesca (Mary)