Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Constructing Men's Outfit

  • blissofanthrkind@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2007
      In the vast majority of cases, 16th century clothing is 16th century
      clothing. Men in England, France, Italy, and Spain would have worn essentially the
      same thing, there wasn't really a national costume, per se. A shirt, which I
      believe you asked about, is a shirt. There would have been differences in things
      like sleeves on doublets, colors, and particular regional fashions, but those
      got around, too. Spanish sleeves on French-style gowns was a very popular
      combination in England, for instance. I know who Henry Tudor was and what
      country he ruled, but if you look at
      _http://www.luminarium.org/encyclopedia/francis1.htm_ (http://www.luminarium.org/encyclopedia/francis1.htm) ,
      _http://www.marileecody.com/henry8/henry8joos1.jpg_
      (http://www.marileecody.com/henry8/henry8joos1.jpg) , and _http://www.abcgallery.com/R/raphael/raphaelbio.html_
      (http://www.abcgallery.com/R/raphael/raphaelbio.html) , you'll see that the French
      and English kings were not dressed substantially differently from Lorenzo de
      Medici.
      My comment was in reference to Madd Alex's pattern recommendations. I was
      merely stating that I know that she is a reliable reference with regard to that
      particular pattern, and if she says it's good, it is.

      April

    • Robert Sandler
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 2, 2007
        Aahhhh... I didn't realize that by this time fashion was so similar across
        Europe. Does Madd Alex have a web site I can go to, or should I talk to her
        directly?