while we are on the subject...

  • Arianna Steffia dOvste
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
      Okay, any ideas on how to construct this chemise? could it possibly be a "partlet"?
      with all the gathering.. I am at a loss as to how to construct this... my 13 year old, is set on
      that type of neckline-she is very modest.

      http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/secondflor/secflor31.html

      Arianna
    • Heather Rigaud
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
        I vote partlet.

        Which is actually an excellent, and period, choice for a modest young
        woman.

        Here is a good write up on how to make one, with a pattern:
        http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_partlets.htm

        Catalina Doro
        East
        On Jul 3, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Arianna Steffia dOvste wrote:

        > Okay, any ideas on how to construct this chemise? could it possibly
        > be a "partlet"?
        > with all the gathering.. I am at a loss as to how to construct
        > this... my 13 year old, is set on
        > that type of neckline-she is very modest.
        >
        > http://www.festiveattyre.com/research/secondflor/secflor31.html
        >
        > Arianna

      • Jen Thies
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
          Arianna,

          You might want to look at the chemise page on the Elizabethan Costuming
          site: http://www.elizabethancostume.net/chemise.html
          The second item down is an Italianate high necked gathered smock, which
          there is an extant version in the Costume Museum of Bath in England.
          Pictures linked at the bottom of the page.

          I hope this helps,
          Genevieve

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
            It is not a partlet. They had highnecked camicias back then.
            Jen gave a good example.
            One possible why is similar to this
            http://www.elizabethancostume.net/cheminst.html
            only you need to add the extra material to reach your neck. You gather is
            into a neckband. Plus you will definitely need gussets.
            There isn't really one way that they put together a chemise/camicia/shift
            Some extent camicie
            http://realmofvenus.renaissanceitaly.net/library/extcam1.htm

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
              Oh the journey you sent me on De..! LOL!

              But look! I think I've found it
              It is pleatwork. see this link. They have more images of male costume than female, but hit
              the same time frame as my lady in green.

              http://www.pleatwork.com/index.php

              Thanks so much everyone for your interest and help (via links.. ah surfing....) I just wanted
              to share what I learned!
              -arianna
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 4, 2007
                Oops, I forgot about them. :P
                There is also a pleatwork yahoogroup that may be able to help you with the
                pleating/smocking
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pleatwork/?yguid=174196603

                Oh the journey you sent me on De..! LOL!

                But look! I think I've found it
                It is pleatwork. see this link. They have more images of male costume than
                female, but hit
                the same time frame as my lady in green.

                http://www.pleatwork.com/index.php

                Thanks so much everyone for your interest and help (via links.. ah
                surfing....) I just wanted
                to share what I learned!
                -arianna
              • caitlin_oduibhir
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 4, 2007
                  I'd do this very similar to how the Sture shirts are made. It has that
                  same overall drape to it.

                  Basically, the entire collar is the top of the fabric, save for a
                  couple of inches at each end. A slice as long as the shoulder line is
                  long is snipped off that end. When the gathering to the collar
                  happens, the slices turn into the shoulder lines and rotates the
                  fabric all the way around the neckline, falling very similar to a
                  bishop collar. The sleeves are then attached to the selvedge and a
                  stabilising band is sewn into the shoulder seam, to reduce the stretch
                  that will occur with that somewhat bias cut.

                  I recently made a shirt based on this pattern for my new Baron, and I
                  found that it needed to have a few more snips of fabric removed to
                  ease up the stress points, but had I been more generous in the fabric
                  all the way around, this would not have been an issue. I misjudged the
                  width by just enough that it threw it off. Using this construction
                  theory that even for the aesthetics needs a lot of fabric, the problem
                  will be eliminated.

                  This is giving me an idea, though... hmmm. I have been bucking to make
                  a new chemise for a while, and I have loads of lovely voile laying
                  about.... I might just see if my theory works. ;-) Must empty the van
                  first, though....

                  Salvi

                  --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "Arianna Steffia