RE: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Dress to be designed, was pattern drafting

    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2007
      My monitor shows it as black. I am not 100% sure but I think she has a
      "black shawl or giornea(?) over the dress as there seems to be a darker "V"
      at the neckline .

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
        I assumed there was a darker rounded neckline underdress and a v
        necked overdress.

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, "otsisto"
        <otsisto@...> wrote:

        > My monitor shows it as black. I am not 100% sure but I think she
        has a
        > "black shawl or giornea(?) over the dress as there seems to be a
        darker "V"
        > at the neckline .

      • Madeleine Delacroix
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
          You see what I am talking about though..I thought it was a single
          dress over a camica or something..ahh, ok, then how few layers can I
          wear..ya think it's possible to just wear a camica an overdress and be
          respectible???

          "otsisto" <otsisto@...> wrote:

          > My monitor shows it as black. I am not 100% sure but I think she has
          > "black shawl or giornea(?) over the dress as there seems to be a
          darker "V"
          > at the neckline .
        • Beverly Azizi
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
            On my computer, it looks to have a dark underdress and an overdress
            in a style similar to the others in the picture with the V neck. You
            can clearly see the outline of the V neck.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
              You see what I am talking about though..I thought it was a single
              dress over a camica or something..ahh, ok, then how few layers can I
              wear..ya think it's possible to just wear a camica an overdress and be
              respectible???

              Reply:
              I think that you are looking at something like
              http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor16.html
              just the orange part but in black/blue and an over gown.
              If you need to cheat just make the bodice for support.

              Now this may be a long shot but could she be wearing a partlet similar to
              the Flemish? I would explain the line that looks like she has a waist band.
              http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor18.html
              As for dress over camicia only, You can find examples
              http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor9.html
              http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor5.html
              http://festiveattyre.com/research/earlyflor/3flor4.html
              Though I have been toying with the idea that such a combination was indoor
              at home style.

              De
            • Madeleine Delacroix
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
                O am agreeing on that part..I know the average stylist woman had about
                4 layers of clothing between her and the oldside world..but it was
                cooler than, I just need something cool that I can wear during the
                summer, that would have been worn outside, nothing fancy, this would
                have to be able to be worn during a camping event..

                "otsisto" <otsisto@...> wrote:

                > Reply:
                > Though I have been toying with the idea that such a combination was
                indoor
                > at home style.
                >
                > De

              • Amanda
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
                    Madeleine, first check out a series of postings here, starting with
                    message #1498, from about 4 or so years ago, discussing the different
                    garment layers and their differences. (I searched this topic out
                    about 2 years ago when I had questions.)

                    Second, for comfort and coolness in summer, only use linens (or summer
                    weight wools) for your clothing.

                    YIS,
                    Cel├Žna
                    EK