Re: [Italian Renaissance Costuming] Re: chemises

  • Dianne & Greg Stucki
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 9, 2007
      At 03:29 PM 2/8/2007, you wrote:
      >Recently JoAnn's started offering pre-packaged 'bolts' of muslin for
      >sale, and while you do save a lot per yard on these, you don't get all
      >that much muslin at one go. That's what I was thinking of, more than
      >availability, when I said, "I know: hard to get all the [fabric]
      >together all at once,"

      I often use JoAnn's 36" muslin for chemises, but I buy it by the
      bolt, with a 40% off coupon...costs about $15 for 25 yards.

      Laurensa
    • borderlands15213
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 9, 2007
        That would get you a bolt of muslin, then, and at a reasonable price,
        but I've had periods in my own life when the most reasonably priced
        goods were still unattainable, and I know there are others out there
        right now in similar situations.
        If I'm not mistaken you're referring to the full, unopened (or very
        newly opened) bolts of muslin normally found on the utility fabric
        shelves' section of the store.
        Does your local JoAnn's have, as does those in my area, "bolts" of
        muslin---well, they're on cores of some sort---wrapped in clear shrink
        wrap and with a big, printed label enclosed? Those are only fifteen
        yards, I think. And you do save a bit, but you don't get all that
        much muslin at one go. It was these I meant in that section of my
        post which you've included, below.
        Also, it depends on the style and length of chemise and the size of
        the wearer, does it not, how much fabric you'll need?
        We were discussing this on another list, and one lady said she can get
        an English Tudor era smock out of something like two yards of
        45"-width linen or muslin. That's good news for a dainty lass like
        her, but for me, I'd have smocks or chemises reaching no longer than
        the upper third of my thighs if I had only two yards per
        smock/chemise/camicia to work with.
        And I like my smocks/chemises/camicie to fall to the top of the calf,
        or at least to the bottom of the kneecap (I know: not much difference
        between those two.)

        Yseult the Gentle

        --- In Italian_Renaissance_Costuming@yahoogroups.com, Dianne & Greg
        Stucki <goofy4@...> wrote:

        > At 03:29 PM 2/8/2007, you wrote:
        > >Recently JoAnn's started offering pre-packaged 'bolts' of muslin for
        > >sale, and while you do save a lot per yard on these, you don't get all
        > >that much muslin at one go. That's what I was thinking of, more than
        > >availability, when I said, "I know: hard to get all the [fabric]
        > >together all at once,"
        >

        > I often use JoAnn's 36" muslin for chemises, but I buy it by the
        > bolt, with a 40% off coupon...costs about $15 for 25 yards.
        >
        > Laurensa

      • Elizabeth Caldwell
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 9, 2007
          My JoAnn's has both the 25 yard and 15 yard bolts. Just last month, they
          had a sale on the 15 yard bolts ($9.99) and I took another 40% off of that
          with a coupon I got in my email. :-) I'm 5'8" and I use about 5 yards in
          my chemises of the 38" wide muslin. I use 1 1/2 yards for the front and
          back and then each of the sleeves is another ~yard of fabric. So, if you
          make them the way I do, you can get a perfectly presentable chemise for
          under $3. (Assuming you have a coupon for JoAnns and get the 38" wide
          stuff. With out a coupon, you'd be just over $5 with taxes here in the
          States)
          Now, that being said, I have seen a way to make an English Chemise out of 3
          yards of muslin. It looks like it would cover me and I was going to try and
          make one sometime before the summer. Out of two yards though hmmm...I don't
          think that would quite work on me unless it is the 54" wide stuff...

          -Isabella

          On 2/9/07, borderlands15213 <borderlands15213@...> wrote:

          > If I'm not mistaken you're referring to the full, unopened (or very
          > newly opened) bolts of muslin normally found on the utility fabric
          > shelves' section of the store.
          > Does your local JoAnn's have, as does those in my area, "bolts" of
          > muslin---well, they're on cores of some sort---wrapped in clear shrink
          > wrap and with a big, printed label enclosed? Those are only fifteen
          > yards, I think.

        • Debbie Armstrong
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 15, 2007
            Ok....<BTW, Howdy all....>

            I confess to some confusion here.....when I first started playing, I made my
            chemises based on the one in "cut my cote"....very full in sleeve and body,
            smallish gusset piece under the arm, and a band 'round neck and wrists for a
            draw-ribbon. Sound familiar?

            Later, I made a much less full chemise to be worn under a <GASP> Norse Apron
            Dress, using the Chemise Pattern Generator on Drea Leed's Elisabethan
            Costuming website.

            Now I'm seeing posts indicating that chemise 'A' can only be worn with gown
            'A'? "Every dress has it's own specifically designed chemise...." [?!]

            And then there's the lady who said... "but then, I still have a heck of a
            lot of linen to use up."

            and also... "Oooooo. I want 30 chemises! Wouldn't that be lovely?"

            Yeah, it would, but I would happily settle for oh, say six? OK eight, but I
            am well-known to be a greedy soul.

            Staggering quietly off in a fog of culture-shock....don't mind me, i'll be
            over here in a corner, whimpering as I make lists of all the sewing I need
            to do!

            d'Carnivalle